Swapping a 65 273 with a Later 318. What's gotta Change?

-

zephyr

Reaction score
The 273 is out of my 65 Dart. Ready to install the 318 (I think it's a 69). I have the adaptor for the crank and the newer radiator. Is there anything else I'll need to change? I remember one member here telling me I'd need to use the newer flex plate with my older 904. But both flex plates are identical. I need to figure it out by Monday. Thanks

I think you'll have to use the 273 carb
If you have power-steering, make sure that you can see the timing marks on the 318 balancer. If you cannot; you have three options;
1) just reindex your TDC mark to somewhere else.
2) If the 273 has a removeable timing tab, just swap it onto the 318 cover and mark your balancer accordingly.
3) swap the entire front end off the 273 onto the 318. This allows you to use the original rad and pump.

I think the rest is plug and play. Well except for the 45 extra cubes, which will present as a lotta torque. So brush your teeth cuz you are gonna be doing a lotta smiling..... lol

The '65 273 has a small snout converter that won't have the proper support in the bigger, 318 crank register. There use to be a reducer ring available, but one might have to fabricate their own.

You can't swap converters in the original trans to a newer one because the splines are different, unless you get that one modified or get a custom one made. Otherwise, you'd have to get a later model trans & converter to match the 318. I don't know what the OEM shifter linkage compatibility is.

-
Back