Swapping big blocks

-

Csommers

Reaction score
I currently have a 400 siting in my 69 dart with a small block k frame and Schumacher adaptors. I have a buddy selling a running 413 for cheap. My 400 is currently disassembled waiting for me to pick the right parts. My thought was to buy the 413 and install that while I finish building my 400. My question is will the scattershield, exhaust and motor mounts all work or will they have to be changed being the 413 is a RB. Thanks!

I currently have a 400 siting in my 69 dart with a small block k frame and Schumacher adaptors. I have a buddy selling a running 413 for cheap. My 400 is currently disassembled waiting for me to pick the right parts. My thought was to buy the 413 and install that while I finish building my 400. My question is will the scattershield, exhaust and motor mounts all work or will they have to be changed being the 413 is a RB. Thanks!

Might have a problem with the exhaust.
What year is the 413 ? The rear of the crank can be different.

Everything you mentioned should work but remember the 400 is externally balanced so if your running a manual trans your flywheel will not work unless it has already been neutral balanced because the 413 is internally balanced engine.

If the 413 came from a 62-65 passenger car, then it will work, if it's a pre-62 or from a truck or motor home, pass.

It has a cast date of 1964 and is supposed to be from a Polara. Approx 10,000 mi on the rebuild Mopar performance parts. 10.5:1 minus carb for $900

Everything you mentioned should work but remember the 400 is externally balanced so if your running a manual trans your flywheel will not work unless it has already been neutral balanced because the 413 is internally balanced engine.

all correct, and, if its automatic, check for weights on your convertor...413 will not need them.

It would be a manual trans. I do not currently have a flywheel setup. If I bought a neutral flywheel couldn't I have I have it rebalanced later in when I want to use it on the 400 or are the crank bolt patterns different?

It would be a manual trans. I do not currently have a flywheel setup. If I bought a neutral flywheel couldn't I have I have it rebalanced later in when I want to use it on the 400 or are the crank bolt patterns different?
Crank flange bolt patterns are the same. I don't know if the flywheel can be re-balanced for the 400 or not, but if you use a stroker kit in the 400, you'll need a neutral flywheel anyway. It's unlikely that the 413 crank is drilled for a pilot bushing, but there are conversion bushings available.

The 413 used to have a 4speed on it when it was in the last car. Also the 400 is strokes to a 470

Rock-n-roll.
Check the hood clearance with the air cleaner stud removed.

-
Back