Swapping column to floor shift steering column 1973 Duster

-
Well, you'll want the key in the column so that limits you to '70+. '70 had that weird column interlock thing, so, you probably don't want to deal with that. '71+ should work, but keep in mind that the wiring harnesses changed some, so '73+ would probably be better.

But really you don't need the whole column, all you have to do is either swap out the top collars or convert them. You can remove the shift tube and linkage if you do that, and the rest of the stuff isn't different. There are a couple of "how-to's" depending on your skill level and available equipment for converting what you have

Automatic to Manual Steering Column Conversion "HOW TO"

Modifying Auto on the Column Steering Collars - NO Welding Required!!

Or you can just buy a used set of floor shift collars, they come up all the time. Here's a set on eBay now... (not mine!)
ORIG MOPAR FLOOR SHIFT STEERING COLUMN CONVERSION PARTS 1970 72 73 CUDA CHARGER | eBay

Or, they now reproduce the collars. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying a used floor shift column usually.
Mopar 71 72 73 74 Charger Roadrunner Dart Floor Shift Steering Column Collars | eBay

Thanks!
The conversion kit looks like the way to go - I'm not much of a fabricator.
Much appreciated.

Well, you'll want the key in the column so that limits you to '70+. '70 had that weird column interlock thing, so, you probably don't want to deal with that. '71+ should work, but keep in mind that the wiring harnesses changed some, so '73+ would probably be better.

But really you don't need the whole column, all you have to do is either swap out the top collars or convert them. You can remove the shift tube and linkage if you do that, and the rest of the stuff isn't different. There are a couple of "how-to's" depending on your skill level and available equipment for converting what you have

Automatic to Manual Steering Column Conversion "HOW TO"

Modifying Auto on the Column Steering Collars - NO Welding Required!!

Or you can just buy a used set of floor shift collars, they come up all the time. Here's a set on eBay now... (not mine!)
ORIG MOPAR FLOOR SHIFT STEERING COLUMN CONVERSION PARTS 1970 72 73 CUDA CHARGER | eBay

Or, they now reproduce the collars. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying a used floor shift column usually.
Mopar 71 72 73 74 Charger Roadrunner Dart Floor Shift Steering Column Collars | eBay
Hey BluNBlu,
You seem fairly knowledgeable about this conversion, Can I ask a question? I ve purchased the Conversion Collars for my 71. I'm going from Column shift to floor shift automatic. So, the new collar has the Thumb lever, My old collar used the shift lever to tell the switch it was in park so the key could be removed.
so now does the column know the floor shift lever is in park? or not???? Also, Do I remove the shift tube now ??

Hey BluNBlu,
You seem fairly knowledgeable about this conversion, Can I ask a question? I ve purchased the Conversion Collars for my 71. I'm going from Column shift to floor shift automatic. So, the new collar has the Thumb lever, My old collar used the shift lever to tell the switch it was in park so the key could be removed.
so now does the column know the floor shift lever is in park? or not???? Also, Do I remove the shift tube now ??

The column won't "know" if the car is in park or not. That will be up to the floor shifter after the conversion. The thumb lever on the column is there on the floor shift cars to keep you from just pulling the key out whenever, you have to turn the key off and then use the lever to release it.

And yes, you can remove the shift tube completely if you've converted to floor shift.

-
Back