Swapping front drums to Kelsey Hayes

-

rrvolare

19Swinger69
Reaction score
1969 Swinger 340....
1. I did not know that factory A bodies with Kelsey Hayes systems had a main Porportioning valve and then a secondary proportioning valve 8 inches further back ???
2. Does anybody have photos of a factory GTS setup showing both mountings of proportioning valves on vehicle ?
3. Has anybody done this conversion and what proportioning valve or valves did you use ?
4. Do you need both valves when doing conversion ... is there one p/n that you can use to make system work?
Any info greatly appreciated ...

1969 Swinger 340....
1. I did not know that factory A bodies with Kelsey Hayes systems had a main Porportioning valve and then a secondary proportioning valve 8 inches further back ???

They didn't.
See the Master Technician's Conference booklets for details.
start with -
1967 Disk Brakes vol 67-04
1970 Brake Hydraulics vol 70-09
1972 Disk Brake Roundup vol 72-05
http://www.imperialclub.org/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm

1967 is important because it is the first year of the tandem master cylinders.
1970 is the begining of the change over to combining the valves

this is precisely why I am using the Wilwood combo distribution block and proportioning valve with my swap. Simple, cheap, and controllable. A bit of line work of course but the unit is up or down of 80 bucks.

Called inline tube yesterday ... need to install front distribution block for disc brake car .. and then shortly after it another block to control rear brake lock up ...

That's weird. I took a Kelsey Hayes disc brake setup off my 72 Demon and installed it in my 71 Scamp. Changed the master cylinder as it was drum / drum to a 73 Duster power master without the vacuum assist, took the proportioning valve and the calipers from the 72 and hooked up the lines. This is non power brakes if it makes a difference. But I definitely have no secondary block. I did however change the rear wheel cylinder size to make it easier to push the pedal.
Reading that link Mattax gave, I did see where that larger cars got a secondary valve to control lock up in icy or wet conditions, but I believe it was only the larger ones.
Mind you this is later and I didn't read the 67-04 link. Maybe being 69 makes a difference?

Called inline tube yesterday ... need to install front distribution block for disc brake car .. and then shortly after it another block to control rear brake lock up ...

That is correct. You need both pieces. The rear block holds the rear brakes off just a tad so the fronts apply first. My KH equipped 69 Barracuda had both blocks. The rear mounts with a strap as shown in the picture. Purchase the line and you will know how far back and the location for mounting it.

-
Back