Swapping the lx manifold to the 6.1

-

5.7 hemi

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So if yoour thinking of doing this swap, either lx or 6.1 manifold, this is what you will run into. I made spacers, which gave more runner length and torque. Or you can mill down the timing cover and then the lx manifold will drop right in, but you need to move the alt. and a/c compressor outward on either swap, no getting around it. Just thought this might shed some light on what it takes to do this.

Attachments

• 3202012 060.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 3202012 062.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 275
  • 3202012 063.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 239
  • 3202012 064.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 3202012 065.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 262
Thanks for documenting that. The aluminum 6.1 intake looks so much better.

So if I have a LX engine, do I need spacers? What other changes are necessary? Thinking of doing this some day.

I believe that's for using the LX (car) or 6.1 intake on a DR (truck) hemi. I've seen others bolt on the 6.1L intake into the 5.7L LX engine.

Riddler

I was told the 6.1 intake on a 5.7 would not add a whole lot of HP vs. the stock LX intake since the runners do not match up and cause turbulence in the runner airflow. But it does look good!

Yeah, sorry, forgot this is if your using the truck timing cover and accessories. While there is a port mismatch, that's why the dremel was invented,lol!! Since I have spacers, I'll use the dremel on those instead of the heads.

Well it fired right up and is running good. I'll be taking a test drive this afternoon and give it the shake down. The intake looks so much better than the lx manifold even with the engine cover. My buddy is gonna stop by and look at the ports and see what we can do (cnc) on my spacers.

The low end torque didn't change according to my butt dyno and the top end surged above what the lx intake was doing. Gotta say this was a worth while change, and I haven't port match my spacers to the intake yet. Can't wait to do the port matching and see what happens.

Just got a set of used heads and I'll port match those to the intake, they will also get the 6.1 valve train. I'll swap the stock 5.7 cam for my 6.1 cam when I change the heads. Hopefully this will be enough power for me?????

Just got a set of used heads and I'll port match those to the intake, they will also get the 6.1 valve train. I'll swap the stock 5.7 cam for my 6.1 cam when I change the heads. Hopefully this will be enough power for me?????

Enough Power? Is there ever enough? Probably not, but I appreciate your optimism.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Yeah, what was I thinking!!

Screw the fuel mileage. Althougth I found something interesting as I was sitting in the drive thru at TacoBell, the trip meter kept going and I wasn't moving. I just filled up and went a half a block and I looked down and it was reading .5, then a minute passes, .6 and so on, wtf!! Now I gotta figure out whats going on. Maybe bad ground, loose connection, I'm not sure and will call the tech line on Monday and see if they can help.

Did you snap any pics of the spacers themselves? I don't need them, but I'd like to see them, and I bet some others would too.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I didn't get any pics of the spacers, but I will when I get my other heads done.

-
Back