Sway bar brackets

-

1969GTS

Reaction score
I just picked up a sway bar for my dart so I can get it safety inspected soon. I bought a used one as I'm not planning on high speed cornering and wanted to save a few bucks as I'm way over budget. It seems that ever time I try to save a dollar it costs me ten because I get screwed over by some unscrupolus SOB. I hope this didn't happen again. One of the brackets on the sway bar was bent and the rubber bushing was shot. He gave me a b body say bar with good brackets and bushings and said they would swap over no problem. So far it had been a B*$TCH of a morning and I haven't come close to getting the bracket over the flared end of the sway bar. Can I cut them off and get replacements or is there a trick to getting them off. I feel like throwing them through the front window of his truck at this point. GRRRRRRRRR

It just so happens that I was doing my sway bar today so I can appreciate the frustration... I have no idea how they got those things on in the first place but to get them off I ground the weld off 1 end of the bracket, bent it up and got it off. I then had to put the sway bar in a vise (loosely) with the bushing up against the side of the vise. Having 1 person pull while I BEAT the end with a rubber mallet I finally got the bushing off.. Pure muscle and hammer...
I bought replacement bushings brackets and end links from http://www.suspension.com/moparcar.htm It's a real nice replacement for the stock bushing which is a terrible design.... Good luck!!!!

Got them sorted out and it turns out one of the previous owners saw fit to mount a transmission cooler in the way! I'm going to have to move it or go to a different style. It never ends some days. LOL

IMG_2362.jpg

i always cut the front end of the bushing strap. the rubber is split so you don't have to fight the end. bolt the bracket in place(loosly) and put the bushing into the bracket. i use a c-clamp to close it back together and reweld the strap. just keep a wet rag there to keep things cool. don't melt your new bushing. good luck.

I was just about to put mine on my duster and stopped at the same point. I thought how the f$@K DO YOU GET THIS OFF!? As far as the tranny cooler I've run into all kinds of crap like that with my duster. You're trying to do something right and it becomes a huge project when it wouldn't have been. My sway bar might stay off.

dudes, the sway bar is the one upgrade you should do. trust me. ask anyone who's done it and they will tell you the same. i asked if anyone made new ones on here and i got a response but, as usual i can't remember who it was. i think i posted the question in a thread named sway bar brackets or something to that effect.

i always cut the front end of the bushing strap. the rubber is split so you don't have to fight the end. bolt the bracket in place(loosly) and put the bushing into the bracket. i use a c-clamp to close it back together and reweld the strap. just keep a wet rag there to keep things cool. don't melt your new bushing. good luck.

That worked! Thanks

-
Back