Sway Bar Question

-

maz72

Reaction score
I have a 72 Duster that has the lower control arms with sway bar tabs. Car was originaly equipped with a sway bar. The car is now equipped with LBP disc brakes from a 73 with the calipers mounted forward.
I would like to put the sway bar on but dont want to swap spindles and caliper mounting position to the rear. I saw some posts that said you can shorten the end links to get clearance. I would like to hear from someone who has done this and the measurement of the cut down links if possible as well as the peformance of the sway bar and any issues as a result. Thanks.

This is a piece of cake! I just did mine. I used a Hellwig 1 1/8" hollow bar(great product by the way) Cut down the end link tubes to about 1 1/2" and used a 5" bolt for the links. Plenty of room! Your measurements will vary I'm sure,you'll be able to see what needs to be done. Dave from Hellwig is a member here. Great product with great customer service!! I have their rear bar also. My buddy took one look at my frt.bar and bought one for his b-body

I've got my Calipers on the rear for 2 B/Cudas & they both handle & stop like a dream. I've read over the years about not wanting the Calipers on the rear (I never really heard a good reason for this). I haven't seen this, or any other problem by mounting on the rear. Because of this, I don't have any trouble with Anti-Sway bar interference (w/ 205/50r15 tires). Hopefully, no one shows me that I've erred...

I've been meaning to post up a question about Front & Rear Sway bar upgrades. That Hellwig 1-1/8" sounds good. I've often thought that these cars needed a Rear bar as well.

I've got my Calipers on the rear for 2 B/Cudas & they both handle & stop like a dream. I've read over the years about not wanting the Calipers on the rear (I never really heard a good reason for this)....

Calipers mounted to front for slightly improved cooling without duct work and/or fans.

I'll buy that. Especially if you're into racing.
BTW, 2Darts, your avatar looks like me back when I had them old front drum brakes (& I'm not blonde).
that's freaky!

-
Back