Sway bar

-

74Dart318

Reaction score
So are front sway bars worth it. My car does sway a bit (1974 dodge dart). I have most of what i need to put a sway bar on, the only thing is that my car did not have one from the factory so i dont have the set up on my lower control arms to hook up the end links. Does anyone know the price of maybe a kit for this or where i could purchase it?
thanks

The front bar will make a huge difference in handling or cornering. Aftermarket kits from Hellwig, Addco , whoever, will include end clips that attach at lower shock bolts. You may need to drill a hole here and there but no welding is reqd. hope this helps

I replaced the front (factory original) bar and installed a new rear bar on mine and it greatly improved the handling in corners & turns. I went with the Hellwig products, and would highly recommend them.
Look up the thread "hellwig swaybar install"

My Dart (75) didn't have a sway bar from the factory.

I put an Addco front bar on it, and it did wonders. The kit comes with the tabs for the LCAs..they are designed to bolt on, but mine are welded. HUGE difference.

I also have the matching rear bar that will be going on when I rebuild the rear end.

a no brainer here. do it , you will not regreat it.....factory should have had them on all car back then in my opinion.

A sway bar tries to twist the lower arms. It's not a big issue but stiffners for those are available and not very expensive. A sway bar adds stress and shortens the life of lower ball joints too. Again not a big deal if you use Moog or TRW joints. A good sway bar with cheap Chineese ball joints is a bad plan.

I took the front sway bar off my Dart. Still handles the same. That sway bar was not doing a bit of good. Mabby aftermarket ones work better. I put a set of S/S springs on my car and noticed a big difference in handeling but that sway bar did not do a lick of good for me.

alignment and, front and rear bars, are the number one thing i recommend to all mopar guys when they ask about upgrades, in the suspension area. the biggest complaint i hear is" it drives like a brick". this is the fix. IMHO.

Thank you everyone for your help.
much much appreciated

-
Back