Swinger help

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I am gathering parts for my build (73 Swinger). I have a few questions. I am needing more clearance. First, Is there a good non-power rack unit can I use? A Dakota or maybe an M body? If I do this retro, will I have to change the steering to a front steer by reversing the spindles from right to left? Would that work? Additionally, woud a rear from a V-8 Dakota or an M body be stronger that a Small 7 1/4 rear (I think thats what is is I do know that it is very small- the car had a slant 6) ? What about a rear from an Explorer or Mountaineer? They seem to be about the same width. Has anyone tried this?
Brian

Dont all of it but I do know that the spindles can go on either side its the ball joints you gotta switch side to side.

Im not sure on the steering, but as far as the rear end from a dakota, yes if it is an 8 1/4 the rear end is much stronger. I built a 92 dakota, threw a LA 318 in it when i was 18, i knew that truck from in and out. So here a few tips for ya. If your looking for a Dakota 8 1/4 they're easy to spot. If the diff cover has an octogon shape it is a 7 1/4, but if it has an oval diff cover it will be an 8 1/4. Now there is one thing you have to worry about, if the dakota rear is from a 90 and older then it will have regular mopar 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern, yet if it is from 91 and up it will have a 6 x 4.5 bolt pattern which is extremly rare bolt pattern (only vipers/dakotas/durangos use this as far as i know) so you would either have to use dakota wheels or you could change the axels that have a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern and get some drums as well. - Superior Axle and gear makes a direct replacement 5 lug axles for the dakota 8 1/4 rear (http://www.superioraxle.com/axles.html)

Notibly the 8 1/4 built correctly can handle a good deal of power, 450-500 rwhp all day, but make sure its built correctly is the key.

-
Back