Synchronizer rings

-

berry-cuda

Reaction score
hi there I'm currently rebuilding a a833 date code says it's a 69, I opened it up and it's has the old style notch rings in it, is it worth the money to upgrade all parts to accept 70s and newer style, I will be replacing the rings anyway but it's going to run probably over 400 bucks to upgrade any thoughts or experience on this? Thanks

I stuck with the notch style in mine, after talking with brewers I decided it wasn't worth all the extra money for little to no change

The barrel where the sleeve rides on, not sure what it's called appears to have wear marks on it is this normal or should it be replaced, if I needs to be replaced I'm probably better off upgrading

IMG_4824.JPG

IMG_4823.JPG

that I believe is the hub, if you put the slider onto the hub and it fits good and doesn't have alot of side to side slop ID say run it...

mine had some marks like urs but they were fairly tight so I'm gonna run them.

but do remember that these transmissions are over 40yrs old, they are all gonna have some wear....if you have the money and don't mind spending it new usually is better lol

I'd be more concerned about the tip of that shaft if that's wear pits and not junk on it.
Slider ring hub looks fine, but your critical parts are the condition of the teeth on the gears and syncros and if there is any play between the gears and shaft they run on. (like twisting it back and forth sideways on it's shaft)
Looseness between those is part of what makes sticks jump out of gear when accelerating or letting off.
The other is the angles on those teeth on the gears and the inside of the slide ring.
They are angled to increase the hold they have on each other under a load. (accelerating or decel either one)
When that angle wears it can actually force the gear and slides away from each other causing it to jump out of gear on acceleration.

I see what your saying about the Pitts I'm at work for the week I'll have to double check that when I get home, my other concern is this input shaft looks like it might be a little rough maby I'll just get a rebuild kit from passion and switch to an 18 spline Od

IMG_4825.JPG

IMG_4826.JPG

-
Back