synthetic trans fluid??????

-

dust-u

Reaction score
just installed my rebuilt 833..I am considering synthetic fluid...What are the suggestions on this??? what is the best type/ etc... thanx in advance...

Don't use synthetic gear oil. It's to slippery and the syncros won't work and you will get lots of gear crunch, been there and did that!

If you want to use a synthetic lubricant use one specifically designed for manual transmissions. Redline, Amzoil and Royal Purple all make synthetic manual tranny fluids.

I have running Penzoil Syncromesh fluid in my A833OD, this is not synthetic though. A huge improvement over gear oil in the ease and smoothness of the shifting and a very noticable improvement over the ATF that cam in the tranny.

Oil do I need to buy? I can't find my specs and have to order online..
I am getting Redline 75W90NS

Oil do I need to buy? I can't find my specs and have to order online..
I am getting Redline 75W90NS

The tranny holds very close to 4 qts. Also, you may run into a gear crunch problem with the redline gear oil as I stated in my first post.

Thanks. I just went and got a quart to replenish all that leaked out my speedo hole as I shuffled the tranny around my workshop... I plan to yank it when I get a new Pressure Plate and to Re-Build the Gearbox, then I will figure it out from []1

I run the Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil. No problems. It shifts better then it ever did. Runs cooler too. Their tech recommended this oil.

Fred B

Mopar use to offer a synthetic, too, that would work in the A-833s'.

Dont use synthetics with a GL5 rating. they dont play well with yellow metals (synchros). I use pennzoil synchromesh. Should hold close to 4 quarts. Shifts are smooth and fast.

Can the Mopar Hypoid Gear Lubrication 80W-90 oil be used in this application or is it recommended to use something else?

Can the Mopar Hypoid Gear Lubrication 80W-90 oil be used in this application or is it recommended to use something else?
Just wanted to follow up, can this/should this oil be used in a 4 speed transmission or are there any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Don't use synthetic gear oil. It's to slippery and the syncros won't work and you will get lots of gear crunch, been there and did that!

If you want to use a synthetic lubricant use one specifically designed for manual transmissions. Redline, Amzoil and Royal Purple all make synthetic manual tranny fluids.

I have running Penzoil Syncromesh fluid in my A833OD, this is not synthetic though. A huge improvement over gear oil in the ease and smoothness of the shifting and a very noticable improvement over the ATF that cam in the tranny.

I have to aggree with dgc333... I had a 4-speed with roughly 3000 miles on it and drained it out over night then filled it with synthetic (Amsoil) gear oil and within less then 100 miles it took out the syncros and Amsoil would not stand behind their product. The sad part was I had used Amsoil for years and they did not care.

I have to aggree with dgc333... I had a 4-speed with roughly 3000 miles on it and drained it out over night then filled it with synthetic (Amsoil) gear oil and within less then 100 miles it took out the syncros and Amsoil would not stand behind their product. The sad part was I had used Amsoil for years and they did not care.

Hmmm what Amsoil were you using? I have been using the MT rated gl4
for 2 years now and I love it. My trans shifts better than it ever has.

Did you use the wrong lube?

It is important to make sure the gear lube is rated GL4
don't use GL5 in your trans.

If your gearbox came apart within 100 miles of changing the fluid, there were other problems afoot. Even with the wrong fluid it should have lasted longer than that.

They probably didn't honor the warranty because they knew the failure wasn't fluid related, which is the only thing their warranty covers.

It was the MT rated gl4 oil and the trans did not have any problems before adding the AMSOIL. To only reason I changed to the AMSOIL was because I was at a car advent and the AMSOIL person sold me on the benefits (smoother shifting) with this product. I sent photos of the shavings that I filtered out of the AMSOIL when I draining it from the trans and afterward AMSOIL contacted by phone and ask me to send them a sample of the their along with shavings I filtered so I did so. After a few weeks I received a letter from them stating they had a lab check the oil and found nothing wrong. I then contacted then and ask why there would be shavings in the oil after the trans had been run in and drained before filling it with their product. This person replied they did not find any shavings (foreign matter) in the sample I sent to them, (Not True). Then they conveniently lost the shavings I filtered out and sent along with the oil sample… This person also made the comment that they have “never” had a fairer with any of their product in all the time they have been in business.

Sorry but this still gets under my skin!

-
Back