Synthetic vs mineral oil

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I have a freshly broke in 440 that I'm trying to find some good quality oil for. In the past I have tried to use synthetic motor oil but I had read somewhere that it is not a good idea to put synthetic in a freshly rebuilt motor. Is this true?
Question 2, I have a custom ground cam and was told I should always use zinc additive or my cam would go flat. The zinc additive I bought says that it should not be used after the first 1000 miles. Is it ok to continue to use it beyond that?
Question 3, I did the initial break in using Royal purple break in oil 10w30. with 1 bottle of mobile 1 zinc additive. I plan on changing the oil and using the same brand oil and additive. Is it ok to use break in oil for the next 3000 miles till the next oil change? Do I need to change the oil at 500 or 1000 miles instead of the normal 3000 miles since its a fresh motor? What is a good, high in zinc, oil to use after the first oil change? Thanks for any help.

Are you using a roller cam or a standard flat tappet cam

Parragraphs my friend, LOL! ;)

I have a freshly broke in 440 that I'm trying to find some good quality oil for. In the past I have tried to use synthetic motor oil but I had read somewhere that it is not a good idea to put synthetic in a freshly rebuilt motor. Is this true?

True.

Question 2, I have a custom ground cam and was told I should always use zinc additive or my cam would go flat. The zinc additive I bought says that it should not be used after the first 1000 miles. Is it ok to continue to use it beyond that?

Wait, your question what it sez on the bottle...from the manufacturer? Who should know there product best?
Or is it the use of zinc there after the engine is broken in?

Question 3, I did the initial break in using Royal purple break in oil 10w30. with 1 bottle of mobile 1 zinc additive. I plan on changing the oil and using the same brand oil and additive. Is it ok to use break in oil for the next 3000 miles till the next oil change?

Sure. Most places recomend that you continue to use a zinc oil for continued protection of highly loaded (Pressureized) parts like the cam and it's tappets.

Do I need to change the oil at 500 or 1000 miles instead of the normal 3000 miles since its a fresh motor?

I myself change oil like mad on a fresh engine.Once, after it is up and running and in a comfortable state where I feel good about driving it around, I spread the intervals out by a 1,000 miles for the first 3,000 and then go to 3 - 5 thousand miles deppending on driving habbits. An example is the beefed up engine see's a oil change every 3,000 and the Hwy. engine see's a change at about every 5,000 miles.

If the engine see's a bit of around town driving and/or local cruise-in's, it's considered abusive driving, the oil gets contamintaed quicker that way. Change the oil @ every 3 grand.

What is a good, high in zinc, oil to use after the first oil change?
Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

I have used Rototella and Comp Cams break in fluid (In a small bottle, not there oil with zinc in quarts) and everything so far has been very good.

No matter the oil you use, dino or synth, add the zinc additive for the high pressure area's that are present in your engine. Modern engine do not have this concern anymore and the new laws regulated the zinc out. So your engines protection is at risk.

I don't know if you have "Amsoil" available in your area but it is a synthetic oil with zinc. It is available at most car and bike shows. They also have additives for the ethanol gas and for diesel also. I use it in all my vehicles and it performs well.

I don't know if you have "Amsoil" available in your area but it is a synthetic oil with zinc. It is available at most car and bike shows. They also have additives for the ethanol gas and for diesel also. I use it in all my vehicles and it performs well.

X2
I use it in everything I have. I've seen rpm's go up when switching from break-in oil to their synthetics, cooler running, very good wear protection that all my builders appreciate, lasts longer, etc. I use the 5w-20 Dominator, but they have a variety of oils to fit your needs.

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/motoroil/tsb mo-2007-08-08 flat tappet.pdf

I usually run and break-in an engine as long as I can before taking it out to race. I wouldn't be concerned about doing some regular driving before switching to the oil you plan to use afterwards.

-
Back