T and T results

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Well I got the car to the track yesterday. Slightly disappointed.
I got 2 runs in, could have had 3 but I screwed up. I was to tired after working all night.
Here's the second run times
60ft. 1.943
330ft. 5.526
1/8 8.515
mph 81.67
1000ft 11.132
1/4 13.371
mph 100.14
Leaving the line at 2000 rpm
I need some help tuning this thing, I beleive it should run low 12's high 11's without a problem.
There is a problem that came up yesterday with the carb. Seems it wants to load up at idle sometimes, and others it will idle at 2000rpm. I think the floats need to be rest, I'll check that first.
Here's what I know about the engine, or was told by the previous owner.
13-1 compression, I did a compression test and pressures were all around 215-220psi.
mid 500 lift solid cam, with roller rockers. He never came up with the cam card. I hvae to get out the dial indicator and check this.
Ported x heads. o-ringed.
850 holley.
I put in a 3500 stall converter, but I think that's a little low and I am going to try and get the 4500 from my friend.
manual reverse valve body.
4.10 spool in the back, running 325x50 15 BFG dot comp's
Timing I set at 36deg. It has the Mopar race dist.

The 60' time is higher than I thought it would be, but it didn't feel like it was spinning.
Any sugestions would be appreciated. If you need more specs on the car, just ask.
Thanks.
Norm

Even with the slow 60', the engine is just not making power. Look at the MPH....that gives you a very very good indication of HP. To only gain about 19mph between the 1/8th and 1/4mile is not too good. It should be more like 22 to 25 mph gain.

With that high of a compression ratio, that thing better be on RACE gas!

If it is not, then there is one of your first problems.

Find out the size of the cam and give us some more info on things like intake, header/exhaust size, weight of car, head flow, .......

Looks like the converter is a problem. Where you shifting it? That thing probably needs 7,200+rpm to make it's full HP.

Lar414 is right on track.

I would say the idle thing is either floats or you butterflies are just touching on the tranfer slots. The other thing is the 850 holley, I would ace that baby and run a 750. You'll get better velocity and throttle response from a 750. What kind of booster is in the 850? down leg? or annular. If your lift is mid 5's I would guess your duration is 240's @ 50. Are you X heads ported and if so how much? That's a lot of cam and compression for X heads unless their ported some.

What are you shift points?

My 340 ran about the same and would not get any MPH, It ran
13.4 at 101mph, I had the MP orange ignition box and it was
retarding the timming at least 10 degrees at 3000rpm. Put a
new FBO box and coil, I have not took it to the track yet, but
it sure pulls harder in 3rd gear. what ignition box do you use?

It has a MSD 6AL with the mopar race dist.
Carb jetting is
Primary 83 jets with a 5.5 pv
Seconday 84 jets with a 3.5 pv
The secondary also has tubes on them and someone cut the float out so it would clear the tubes.

Check those notched floats and make sure they arent filling with fuel. If they are home made ones Id buy a set of pre-notched. If the floats fill with fuel it will mess up the float level and could cause you loading up problem. :thumrigh:

Well I changed my mind again. I kept with the 850 and put in new jets. 78 all around. It also has 5.5 pv's on both sides just incase the 3.5 was closing on the top end.
I turned the fuel pump on and set the floats. Seems to still want to wander at idle a slight amount. Could be the springs in the distributor, I'll have to get the timing light out and check.
When I shut the engine off the front side of the carb had vapor coming out, Is this normal for the holley? I seem to remember all the ones I had doing this.
Anybody use those plastic sight glasses? Pros/cons?
Mine apparently were tightened to much and the centers were white.
Went to take one out and it snapped in half. Oh well. I put a stock one back in.
Norm

If there is vapour coming out after you shut it off you likely have a fuel drip into the intake. Pull the carb off after you have driven it, Keep it level so you don't spill/lose any fuel. Support it so it is level and you can see the underside of the carb. Then watch for a drip. Likely a metering block gasket.

-
Back