T-bars vs Stored energy

-
They do not squat . I have never seen a car that worked with leaf springs squat.

Then you've never paid attention to most stock rear suspension GM cars......especially a Corvette. They were MADE to squat.

The leaf sprung Corvettes (C3 I think)were DESIGNED to squat in the rear for weight transfer. You might want to watch this. The tires haven't a thing to do with it. It's the rotational force of pinion trying to climb the ring gear that actually pull the rear axle UP so the body goes DOWN. It is very evident in the video. I have driven countless numbers of these cars and when hit hard off the line, they feel like the rear bumper touches the ground.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pC_Kxn7ZSM"]1979 Corvette Drag Strip Run - YouTube[/ame]

All IRS cars squat like that on the starting line. With no rigid axle tubes, the torque reaction at the axles tries to push the hubs up into the car. Gravity fills the void and the car squats.
Squatting the tire is different. Cars with little or no suspension rely on a hard initial hit which stretches the tire front-to-back. This leads to a longer footprint and thus compensates to the lack of actual weight over the rear.
As a rule, lower horsepower cars (under 6-700 horsepower) use an active suspension and physical weight transfer to gain traction. Higher horsepower use little to no suspension and focus all of the energies toward working the tire into the ground while the physical weight of the car is used to counterbalance the force of the pinion trying to climb the ring gear.

Then you've never paid attention to most stock rear suspension GM cars......especially a Corvette. They were MADE to squat.

If a leaf spring car squats with any kind of power it will not hook...

-
Back