T10 to 440

-

Twizted_Redneck

Reaction score
i need help i cant find mutch info so i looking to the masses i have a T10 Trans i found one website that sead they came on 383 but i dont know how true that is can any one out there let me know if i can use my t10 trans on a 440 bell housing.

as long as you have a correct bellhousing, clutch (spline count), sure why not. That being said I'm pretty sure the T10 was GM only (somebody correct me on this). If it is GM only maybe you can trade of an 833 tranny

as long as you have a correct bellhousing, clutch (spline count), sure why not. That being said I'm pretty sure the T10 was GM only (somebody correct me on this). If it is GM only maybe you can trade of an 833 tranny

I have been on the 833 crash course the last few weeks, but did read where Mopar had to put a few T10s behind their big blocks prior to getting the 833 ready to go in 64.

They didn't want to sell many cars with the T10, for concern of having a lot of warranty replacements. So basically, it was a limited 63 deal.

T-10's were used in stuff besides GM stuff. It used to be "known" that a Stude T-10 could be used in a Chev, seems like there was a minor difference in the input shaft. They were used in some Fords, at the very least.

I'm learning something today!! The last 4 speed tranny I messed with was my M22 Muncie "Rock Crusher", sitting in my garage (no it is not for sale).

i have found this online but i have not talked to any one or seen it happen the supper t10 is out if my old imca race car the engine had a bout 700hp and the trany worked grate sold the car and kept the trans http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cat...erhaul_kits/borg_warner_t10_overhaul_kit.html if yall come up with some pics or some more info plz let me know

I do believe that the drivetrain folks are mistaken.....All of the listed Mopar applications are A-833.
The t-10, as noted, was a 1963 stop-gap measure (between the french 4-speed and the A-833). If it was a good/desirable/suitable trans then there would not have been any reason to develop the stronger A-833. Remember, the B-RB engines can produce massive amounts of torque, something that the gm's of that era could only dream about.
Aftermarket bellhousings are available but you will pay dearly for them and still have a questionable 4-speed.

According to this:

http://www.brewersperformance.com/history.htm

History of the A833 Chrysler Four Speed Transmission

Chrysler's first factory-installed four-speed transmission (1963) was the Borg Warner T-10. It didn't take long for the engineers at Chrysler to conclude a stronger and more durable transmission was needed, and the New Process A-833 was introduced with the 1964 model year. Both '64 and '65 models carried the flanged output for the ball-and-trunnion style universal joint. B- and C-bodies utilized the common 2.66 low gear ratio, while the A-body transmissions were 3.09 low gear ratio. The 1965 Super Stock 426 Hemi-powered vehicles received the first heavy duty "Hemi" 18-spline input models.
4-Speed Transmission

The flange-style output was dropped for the 1966 models, and the slip-yoke tailshaft was introduced. The long tailshaft versions utilized the larger 30-spline output shaft (same as the 727 Torqueflite) and the short tailshaft version the 26-spline output shaft (same as the 904 Torqueflite). The production of the 1967 383 big block-powered Darts and Barracudas mandated the addition of the 30-spline output shaft in the A-body transmission, which was expanded to include all A-body transmissions in 1968.

Beginning with the '68 models, a small (3" X 7/8") raised machined pad was added to the main case, just above the casting numbers on the passenger's side. The car's serial number, along with the transmission's build date (10,000 day calendar code) and a 4-digit sequential production number are stamped into this pad.

With the beginning of the 1970 model year, the new "lug-style" synchronizer rings and the wider (.382" vs .216") synchronizer strut keys were introduced. Production of the AAR Cuda and T/A Challenger Trans-Am models in the spring of 1970 introduced the 2.47 low gear "close ratio" 23 spline gearset. 1970 A833 production brought to an end the tried and true ball-detent side cover, switching to the interlock lever design for 1971. The 18-spline transmissions also received a gear change with a 2.44 low gear ratio gearset for the 1971 models.

1974 ended the long tailshaft B- and E-body 4-speed production, while 1975 was the last year for the A-body short tailshaft 4-speed and the beginning of the overdrive versions of the A833. The 23 year run of the famous A833 ended with the 1986 model Dodge trucks.

thank you 67dart i could of swore they used them back in the day but every one was calling me crazy lol

No, we all agree that the t-10 was a one year only unit prior to the A-833. Brewer is incorrect in saying that the t-10 was the first 4-spd. The 1958 Chrysler 300 had a 4-speed option that used a french box that self destructed and I believe most were recalled.

It is possible that you have one of the Mopar t-10 units which would be valuable to a restorer, hence the request for a pic to help identify.

180255_1849183593643_1362320082_32164341_4513314_n.jpg

i looked up the vin on the side and its a gm vin and the case is not cast so i dont think its old enuf to be the mopar t10

T-10's can built to take a royal beating for much cheaper than any 833, and are even stronger in the end too

I wouldnt hesitate to use one if i already had it

i still dont know if it will bolt up to a mopar bellhousing

then try it...but i can tell you it probably wont, you'll need a conversion bellhousing from someone like quicktime or some other manufacturer

The pic you show indicates a very short input shaft, gm style, NOT Mopar style. You will not find a bell from any factory application that will work.
As previously mentioned, the required bell will be an expensive aftermarket piece. Some Lakewood cans are dual drilled so you might look there if you really need to use it.

T-10's can built to take a royal beating for much cheaper than any 833, and are even stronger in the end too

I wouldnt hesitate to use one if i already had it

I find this AWFUL tough to believe. I was there

-
Back