T45 on a Slant Six

-

John Mountain

Reaction score
I have a slant six 3-on-the-tree Duster as my daily and only driver, and there's a Tremec T45 for a really good price in my area. I got a place to cut out the trans tunnel for the shifter, and probably cut my driveshaft, but what other parts and work do I need to get this thing hooked up to my slant?

What bell housing?

Clutch?

Thanks for all the help, and let me know if I should take this to the Transmission and Drivetrain Tech forum!

As far as I know the T-45 and the TR3650 that replaced it are Ford transmissions with integrated bells for the Modular motors from 1996 and up. It would take some work to make it work and its not a great trans to begin with. A T5 would be easier to start with and have more aftermarket support. At the end of the day you probably need to make an adapter since you wont find a slant bell to T5 bell housing.

Photo of T5 adapter and install - Slant Six Forum

TRANSMSSION DETAILS: TREMEC T-45 - Modern Driveline

What is your goal with the trans swap?

Last edited:
Awhile back they had a group buy on.org that the machine shop took and modified a slant OD bellhousing to work with a T5. There any have been an additional adapter but can’t remember all the particulars

There is indeed work in progress on .org for an adapter to be able to use a T5. I have one coming when they get done producing them, likely in a few weeks.

There is indeed work in progress on .org for an adapter to be able to use a T5. I have one coming when they get done producing them, likely in a few weeks.

You got a T5? You need one? lol

So far, I do not have a T5 but I'm considering getting one. I jumped into the adapter buy because I figured if this was a one-time opportunity, I didn't want it to pass me by.

Do you know what T5 it was designed around? Ford used I think 3 to 4 different ones with different input shaft lengths, strengths, gears, etc. Then there are the GM ones.

-
Back