Tach drive distributor, what is the deal??

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
What is the deal with tach drive distributors? I am thinking about getting one because they are cool and old school. Are they any good? Do they make new distributors with this option or are they vintage? I have a 340, anybody have one lying around collecting dust? :toothy10:

I have a couple of them, just put a NOS one on my 416 stroker engine that is going in my 69 Dart 340 and I have one for my old gasser project.I will look to se if I have another lying around. I think they are all vintage.I lucked out and found a guy that had a bunch of NOS 340 stuff and the distributor was part of it.

mopar made a tach drive electronic that would plug in to 72 &up cars.
i used to see'm on ebay a year or so ago. all my stuff is points/condenser
style

Electronic tachs back then were pretty crappy and many read to only 6K. I believe the greatest asset of the tach drive distributor was the accuracy of a direct drive tach and the fact that the cable drive tachs had higher scales than the electronics of the day. I had one in my Super Bee that I ran off an Accel distributor, had to use the defrost vent to route the cable. Sure messed with the defroster on cold or wet mornings. Electronic tachs are much better now and a cable driven tach would be more of a novelty or for nostalgia.

-
Back