TACH location

-

pagilman

Reaction score
Can you guys post some pics of where you mounted your tachs? What kind they are and approx what they cost? Also what difficulty you had installng it. I was trying to find the gauge cluster that mounts on the windshield post, but my purist buddy laughed in my face!!:salute:

Ours is a 5" Autometer Cobalt .. I think it was around $225. We fabricated a steel plate that tucks under the front of the dash pad, and wraps around the rear.. We drilled through the pad foam and bolted the mount to it, and also bolted the gauge mounts with the same bolts. It worked out pretty good, the shift light is blinding, and it hides that ugly rip in the middle of the dash :-D

DSC00871_2.JPG

ill take a picture of mine and put it up here for you. i snuck my monster tach inbetween the wheel and dash on the column. its tihgt but i like it cus you can see it without having to screw up your dash pad or having it be visable. you cant see 0-15 mph tho. ill never drive that slow anyway.

Here's mine, Autometer C2 5 inch. Mounted it under the dash using existing screw for the cluster. I just rotated the shift light to fit better with where I mounted it & yes those blue lights are blinding. That is why I put the cover over it & cut a small hole in the center. I used to have it mounted up top but it made looking out kinda of a pain.

100_8198.jpg

Here's the only picture of where mine was. It's a small Sun brand tach that they sell at Advance Auto. It was cheap...like $40 bucks?
-Jon

DSC00020.JPG

where they belong, on the steering column

0000Int3.jpg

Tachs are easy to install. Hard part is picking where you want it.

I like the stock look on the console but not practical if you want to really look at it and use it. I didn't want to drill a hole in my console either. Only choice for me was on the column. Recovered dash pad at Just Dash
& rechromed console.

Wish Just Dash had made the modified dash pad before I had mine restored because I would have the gauge pods in the pad and small tack could be used in it.

0000Int3.jpg

Here,s Mine,it,s A Very Hard Choice Decideing Where To Mount.i Can See It With Out Looking Away From What,s In Front Of Me.post Mounts Are For Foriegn %$&@*!!excuse Me.

I have an Autometer mounted on a bracket that slips under the dash pad. I got the bracket on E-bay.

Dart 3 001.JPG

A tach doesn't do you any good if you can't see it. In the 60/70's we mounted them on the steering colume slanted to the right. That allowed us to see the speedo at slow speeds but when we stood on it we just watched the tach to know when to shift. Old tech but that was what we did way back when.

Here's mine, all home made. Holds the tach, oil pressure guage, and the arming switch for the spray.

dash small.jpg

Mooneyes tach...$75...free to me...I help the local mooneye guy...He has them on ebay too...

I used a big a$$ cable strap...wire-tie...wire bundle...whatever you call it. Works well, tight. easy to remove and I put a 4 pin connector (radio shack, four pin female on the harness, 4 pin male on the tachs) so i can put back what I had on it before the Mooneyes (Auto Gauge with the shift light)...if I want...unplug...bolt it underneath the dash...like 71dartGuy

Replacing carpet 6-1-08 (17) compressed.JPG

I eliminated the left side defroster vent. I fabricated a section of 3/8" steel to bolt in the opening and wrap around the dash pads. I also cut and welded on the mounting pivot.

Barracuda376-vi.jpg

By cutting the mounting pads a little short you can tuck the tach wiring under the bracket and route it all inside the dash.
SANY0004-vi.jpg

I wedged a rubber block under the front edge and it's good to go. With the exception of buying 3 nice stainless steel bolts to mount it, everything was made from scrap. And the tach is mounted nice & solid.
SANY0036-vi.jpg

I have an Autometer mounted on a bracket that slips under the dash pad. I got the bracket on E-bay.

I love that steering wheel man...where did you get it from?

Here is mine. mounted under the dash pad.

How do you like your sun tach 66340sedan....does it bounce alot? or does it read pretty accurate...i want a sun tach in my car since they look very retro and cool, but hear alot of bad stuff about them

And Fastback340, that is one cool idea for mounting the tach...dont think ive ever seen it that way before...very creative8)

How do you like your sun tach 66340sedan....does it bounce alot? or does it read pretty accurate...i want a sun tach in my car since they look very retro and cool, but hear alot of bad stuff about them

It worked great with the MP ignition. I installed a MSD 6al box this summer, now the tach is not as accurate at higher rpms, is actually goes down as the engine revs higher. My friend says it needs to be recalibrated? I have another Sun tach that is identical to this one, it is mint and almost brand new, I may try that one. I love the old vintage tach for my look, I hope I can get the Sun to work.

Autometer Sportcomp... My view of the tach is slightly better than the straight-on view you see below. In hindsight I could have gotten it a little further to the left, making it almost 100% visible. Oh well... it dos the job for me.

DSC03359.jpg

DSC03357.jpg

yea the vintage look is awesome...i want to try one of their newer tachs with the shift light....the look more modern and have the shift light but they still have the retrovibe to them which i love...and for the price, well its pretty tempting...good luck fixing your tach issue- do you have any idea why it has to be recalibrated or how to do it?

I love that steering wheel man...where did you get it from?

Thanks. It's a Grant Wheel. It's the foam rim with the chrome spoke centers. I think it's one of their classic wheels. I got it at NAPA for around $25.

Fred B

cool...thanks for the tipoff...something im going to look for when finishing up my interior in the new year....good price too

I didn't really have a good, eye-level place for my boost gauge, so I gritted my teeth and put three small screw holes in a very nice dash pad (original 1972) and put it directly in front of the speedometer... not the best idea, but it's visible, at least.

The tach took second-billing, down on the steering column.

The idea was to try to maintain as much stealth as possible... :snakeman:

100_3257.jpg

-
Back