tach mount on dash?

-

THEWHITEZOMBIE

Mopars an Heavy Metal
Reaction score
how do u all mount yur tachs on yur dash?not in the dash but on it like the pad itself?im thinking of making a bracket to put my tach right at the lip of the pad inbetween the streering wheel an the rear miror!whats yur ideas

Mike, just for your info.....be careful with your dash pad...
any kind of bracket is the way to go. (if there is a animal) I was :tard: "once" because I drilled, then tried to cheat by going under the dash with my own metal sleave to reinforce the pad but it still flattend/cracked and split. (had to buy a new one).

I made one once for my old Duster with some 1/16th" thick, 1 1/4" wide (just make sure it's wider than your tach mount), and 10 3/4" long piece of metal.
I bent the metal in a thin, uneven U shape. So from the peak of the bend to the end of the metal on the shorter side was 3.5 inches. This is the side that is going to slide under your dash pad.
Make the gap between the two sides about 1/2 inch (inside to inside)
Mount your tach as close to the edge as possible(just over it) If you have a monster tach, you may want to add a small support bracket from the stock gauge cluster, or just use a little thicker and maybe wider metal.
I had a pretty big Mallory tach with the rev limiter and it worked fine without the extra support, but the monster tachs are a little bigger.

I made one like the ACME ones, but I extended the front down and back toward the dash. My Monster tach is on top, my oil pressure guage hangs underneath and my nitrous arming switch is on the front. Works out very well. Oh yeah, it also totally covers the crack in the dash pad (it luckily was in the perfect spot!). Best of all it didn't cost me a dime.

don

I mounted mine in between the guage cluster and the heater controls on the face of the dash. It is down out of site and I can still see it very easily when I have to seeing as my right arm will be on the shifter at those times. I'm still trying to find a place for my voltmeter.

Jack

I modified a bracket(to mount it on the steering coluom) that came with the tac. I welded a flat plate on the bottom of the bracket, finnished it anpainted the whole braket semi black and used double sided 3-M body tape, and mounted it in the corner by the pillar. Works for me.
Dave C.

-
Back