Tach mounted kind of

-

Craig NY

Reaction score
well I attempted to mount my tach on my dash today, placing it over a pre existing crack on the dash , i used 2 lag screws and some double sided tape. it seems to be on there ok the screws never got really tight, i mean it moves with the dash if you push it, but i think youd really have to tug for it to come off, im wondering if i should have drilled all the way through the dash and put a nut underneath, what da ya think, oh well time will tell still needs wiring up heres a pic, you guys tell me
000_1270.jpg

thats awsome and funny i have a crack in same spot on my dart i mounted mine to piller took out one of the screws and it fit perfect .. i love the duster awsome

Looks good and mean. I like it! (now you can watch the tree at the same time (left lane) LOL.
If you want other ideas just type in "tach" in the "search" menu a lot of guys did some pretty neat install jobs and stuff with their tachs. However, you gota open the threads.

looks good if you like it lol. That will block a good amount of view however in my opinion, if you have a shift kit of any sort, reptitve hard shifts will likely knock it loose. My tf-2 kit does and mine is screwed into the dash frame lol.
-mike

Craig, that spot in the pad there is no metal to anchor to.
The best way is to take a piece of sheet metal and make a bracket to go around the pad. I did that with mine. On my
present Duster. I did what you did years ago on a 71 Duster
I had. I had to run machine screws all the way through to nuts
on the bottom side. Take the time to make a bracket. It won't
bounce around that way. Wish I could show you a pic of the one
I made for the car I have now. Just take a piece metal to go
around the pad. Use a coat hanger to make a contour of the pad
to go by. I used some spray on bed liner to cover it. Looks like
i bought one of those pricey ones. Good luck, Green Duster.
Oh by the way. Your car looks great with the new wheels.
Amazing what a set of tires ans wheels will do.

Summit has a bracket that is specially designed for mounting the tach to the dash location you wanting. From what I can make of it the main mounting is under the dash lip but I understand that you want to hide the crack in your dash.

Reminds me of the tach in Tom Cruise's Nascar in Days of Thunder-I can see Robert Duvall leaning in to trip the button at 9500 when he blew up the motor!

I went with a vintage NOS sun 9 grand tach with light, mounted "old school" style on the steering column and the Hurst t handle (just like my original 69)

-
Back