Tach mounting

-
If on a PC you can do a screen capture, or save the dwg as a pdf
Sorry it took so long to get back to this .... we just got back home about an hour ago.
07-02-23 ... I added a white background print at the bottom, easier to see and takes less ink to print, I also added the .125 radius (2x) in the bottom half.
The space allowed for the .020 rubber strip will only work if you do not put the strip all the way around the steering column.
You only need to put the rubber strip around the top half, between the steering column and the aluminum clamp.
I did this to make it grip without marking up the paint on the column ( see now it needed more help on the bottom ... fixed with a 2x .125 radius). The cutout in the bottom half is for the wire sheet metal channel.
I will add some photos of mine that I took earlier today (Saturday). Mine has been mounted 8-9 years.
Mine has been mounted, unmounted and remounted several times when I had to drop the steering column for various work I did on dash lights, Mad Electrical wiring modification, adding power steering etc.
I used Stainless Steel 10-32 socket head screws (2 long for the mount, one short for the tach), with some antisieze so the threads did not gaul up, (if that is spelled correctly LOL).
I do not know if I said this before but ... with the exception of tapping the 10-32 threads all the maching was done as one piece. After the CNC maching was completed, I scribed a line across the center and cut it in half on a bandsaw. Cleaned up the saw blade marks and the tapped all the threads, one thing I did not want to do was to drill through when drilling the holes for the two mounting screws. I did not want to see the holes were they would have come through, just makes it look nicer.
07-02-23 ... Added note ... on the bottom half where the cutout is for the wire channel I should have made about a .125 radius on each of the top two corners to not have the sharp corners.
If and when I remove mine again I will file in a radius on each side and touch up the paint in the sheet metal piece ... did not see that until looking at the photos this morning.

1968 Dart Tach drawing photo (2).png

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

1968 Dart Tach Mount 3 (2).png

Last edited:
f on a PC you can do a screen capture, or save the dwg as a pdf

I'm putting a tach on my 67 Dart. I'd like to put it on the column, but being a column shift car, the space is tight there. Anyone have any suggestions or pictures on where they mounted their tach?

Thanks!
I used the dash off a Harley Super Glide cut it in half then used the left side to mount an old Sun Tach. Sent it out to be recalibrated.To the right is an Oil pressure Gauge from a Peterbuilt did some welding to make it a one-piece panel.

This is on my 1969 Plymouth valiant Signer 2 Door Post.

100_0201.JPG

100_0167.JPG

100_0182.JPG

100_0183.JPG

Sorry it took so long to get back to this .... we just got back home about an hour ago.
07-02-23 ... I added a white background print at the bottom, easier to see and takes less ink to print, I also added the .125 radius (2x) in the bottom half.
The space allowed for the .020 rubber strip will only work if you do not put the strip all the way around the steering column.
You only need to put the rubber strip around the top half, between the steering column and the aluminum clamp.
I did this to make it grip without marking up the paint on the column ( see now it needed more help on the bottom ... fixed with a 2x .125 radius). The cutout in the bottom half is for the wire sheet metal channel.
I will add some photos of mine that I took earlier today (Saturday). Mine has been mounted 8-9 years.
Mine has been mounted, unmounted and remounted several times when I had to drop the steering column for various work I did on dash lights, Mad Electrical wiring modification, adding power steering etc.
I used Stainless Steel 10-32 socket head screws (2 long for the mount, one short for the tach), with some antisieze so the threads did not gaul up, (if that is spelled correctly LOL).
I do not know if I said this before but ... with the exception of tapping the 10-32 threads all the maching was done as one piece. After the CNC maching was completed, I scribed a line across the center and cut it in half on a bandsaw. Cleaned up the saw blade marks and the tapped all the threads, one thing I did not want to do was to drill through when drilling the holes for the two mounting screws. I did not want to see the holes were they would have come through, just makes it look nicer.
07-02-23 ... Added note ... on the bottom half where the cutout is for the wire channel I should have made about a .125 radius on each of the top two corners to not have the sharp corners.
If and when I remove mine again I will file in a radius on each side and touch up the paint in the sheet metal piece ... did not see that until looking at the photos this morning.

View attachment 1716109292

View attachment 1716109302

View attachment 1716109303

View attachment 1716109306

View attachment 1716109310

View attachment 1716109311

View attachment 1716109312

View attachment 1716109313

View attachment 1716109443
Thank you! Beautiful piece of work by the way.

Last edited:
-
Back