Tail Light Bulbs

-

Shane

Reaction score
So I went to buy new tail light bulbs, and came home with 2057 bulbs for some reasons...

The ones in the car are 1157's..

Can I use these?

Whats the difference??

Thanks,

Shane

from what I found they are almost identical in shape and will work they are just a lighter duty bulb and I also found that a 1157 will have a brass bottom, the 2057 should have a metal bottom, also the wattage is different, it may cause your tail lights to look like brake lights or be very dim compared to usual, just try one and compare it to the other one

The 1157 and 2057 bulbs are rated the same in amperage and brightness (lumens) for the "brake" filament. The 2057 has a slightly lower amperage rating and brightness in the "tail" filament.

In my opinion put 1157's in and put the 2057 in your glove box for spares. Are the 2057 for the front signals??

Though they are more expensive, I got the 3496 from NAPA. I cleaned the lenses and the housings, and what a difference.

From another thread:
It draws the same amount of current as 1157, but is much more efficient. It produces 43 candlepower on the bright (brake or turn) filament, and 3.5 candlepower on the dim (tail or parking) filament. It also has a nickel-plated base that is much more corrosion resistant than the plain brass base of an 1157, so it's less likely to stick in the socket.

-
Back