tail light lens repair

-

jomoper

Mope or Nope
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
thought I would start a thread on My little repair project .
Had a broken surround on my D/S brake/turn signal lens.
As this area is painted black I thought why not just repair it .
So I took pics all along the way maybe this might help someone out .
Best part was it did not cost Me a cent as I already had the materials on hand .
Heres the chipped surround .

pit tail lamp repair 013.JPG

After cleaning with acetone I created a dam that was filled with JB weld to let harden overnite ..

pit tail lamp repair 018.JPG

pit tail lamp repair 019.JPG

today when I was sure the filler had hardened sufficiently I removed the tape sanded ,masked the red lens part and sprayed with alsa high gloss black.

pit tail lamp repair 030.JPG

pit tail lamp repair 033.JPG

pit tail lamp repair 034.JPG

WHAT it's not done yet! Ha....

Looks like it could work well...can't wait to see the end result!

Aloha!

After the black was sufficiently dry I reapplied the silver with a paint pen.
The last pic shows the lens mounted in the bumper making the other three look pretty dull .So I guess I'll be touching those up too..

pit tail lamp repair 041.JPG

pit tail lamp repair 042.JPG

Dfnsmn34 Ahhh....done!

Ooops...three more to go!

Looks really nice jomoper

Thanks it's not bad for a driver .If I was a more patient man I would have built it up just a little more as it's a bit thinner but you'd really have to look at it close to notice. Also the silver coulda been applied a bit better.But I'm happy with the results!:-D

Nice! Thanks for the post. I wouldn't have thought of that. When I got my Scamp the silver was all faded on my tail light lenses. I used painter's tape to mask all the red, then I used a sharp exacto knife to trim all the extra tape away and just shot them with a rattle can. The result was well worth the effort.

You did a really fine job and looks great. I did many similar things on my 67 Dart. Did a lot of plastic repair wit epoxy of different sorts. I tackled my steering wheel last year. You would have thought it was new a one. I also repaired my rear arm rests bases. Lot more fun than buying new, plus, you keep the original. Krylon Fusion works great and is flexible and durable. Just need to take your time in using it.

Dave

Dave

-
Back