Tail lights dont work???

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
My tail lights and side marker lights are not working on my 68 Dart.They worked then blew a fuse.I changed the fuse and they worked for a few hours.Then they quit again and will not work.The fuse is OK this time.The turn signals work and the head lights work.But the passenger side headlight is real dim.I dont know if there is somthing wrong with the head light but this happened when the rest of the lights quit.
I put all new fuses in the fuse box,put a different dimmer switch in because the old one was stuck on,and all the light bulbs look OK.
On a 68 Dart does the Dash bolt in under the windshield like a 68 Coronet.I am thinking of taking the dash out this winter and checking everything out Any ideas anyone thanks for the help Jim

Check the bulkhead plug them go to the harness that goes to the rear it might be pinched somewhere or have a bare spot. Usually a dim headlight is caused by a poor ground.

Lets call it the park lamp circuit. That wire is brown and goes to a crowd of fixtures including the tag lamp. Did you replace the blown fuse with on of higher amp rating ? That will cause further problems.
Anyway... you'll need to check that circuit starting at the headlight switch.
Yes your dash is bolted in under the windshield gasket.

What amp of fuse should it have?I did check the bulk connector near the drivers kick panel.It looked ok.
I will trace the brown wire tomarrow.I tested the rear plate wire it also had no power.I will replace the headlight tomarrow and see what happens.
If I were to unlplug the bulk head near the drivers kick panel could I put a hot wire off the battery to one of the wires that go to the tail lights.Just to make sure the problem is not after the bulk connector.
Thanks so far I will keep at it. Jim

Being that the tail lights along with the side marker lights don't work my bets go to the turn signal switch. I've had a real head ache when I had to figure this one out. But it was quite simple once I knew possible causes and well the most popular one is the turn signal switch, all those wires go through it.

Here is what I did...

First I checked if it really was the turn signal cam that was bad or somewhere in the harness...it's quite simple...

"Get a test lamp, and get into the connector coming out of the column where the turn signal switch hooks up. You should have FOUR wires coming out of the connector which (can) flash, plus one for the flasher coming in. That is, let's say you turn on the left turn, and it is working. You should have a total of THREE wires at that connector which flash

One is the flasher unit feeding in "flash" power

One is the output to the left front

One is the output to the left rear.

Now try the same thing on the rear, and veryify that you have this at that connector. If not, you have a bad turn sig. switch. If you do have these three, then the trouble is the wiring or connectors going to the rear

If it is the turn signal switch well then remove the steering wheel and note where the horn wire connection is located before you pull it out. Remove the turn signal lever and the retaining plate, and then it will take some patience to wiggle and pull the switch wiring harness and plug end up through the steering column."

Hope that helps!

The turn signal switch is reletive to brake lamps, not park lamps.
If the brake/turn element of the rear bulbs work your problem is not in yellow or green wires. Back to the browns. Good luck

The turn signal switch is reletive to brake lamps, not park lamps.
If the brake/turn element of the rear bulbs work your problem is not in yellow or green wires. Back to the browns. Good luck

Exactly. I had brake light trouble on a Charger I had and I wound up taking the steering wheel off , take turn signal switch out, cleaned the contact points with sand paper and it fixed it. If the tag light is not working then there is something up with the headlight switch.

-
Back