Tail lights problem

-

Bijon

Reaction score
Hi there, I recently bought a 75 Valiant. I got problems with the tail lights. They just won’t light, it’s stays constantly on the brake wire of the bulb(bigger one)

-Harness is mint from the trunk to the front
-Connectors are all clean
-hazard and signals are working (as I seen it goes through on the wiring diagram)
-Brake switch is brand new and working properly(pink wire hot at all time, white only with brakes on)

Nothing yet.
I got a couple connectors that were all unplugged under the dash tho. Trying to make sense of all of it but it’s my first old car yet, not used to everything there. Is there any of these connectors that would make a short, or “bug” the circuit if not plugged? One seems to be the door switch. Another one seems to go in the alternator gauge in the dash. For the rest I can’t tell, there’s no logic place to connect them?? And the one with the blue “flashers” connector, the cable wasn’t reaching but it seems like the only thing pluggable in there.

Any help at this point would be truly appreciated. I normally make easy sense of an electrical problem but this one is getting a pain in the ***. Cheers to all, happy moparing

67DB8A06-076C-4C46-9800-34F5192672BE.jpeg

DE166ABE-C7BB-4DB6-B71D-B6B3E9EEF5DB.jpeg

B39A6F04-7EF5-40F9-A4B9-424FB487EA1B.jpeg

577198FB-61AB-4846-AE74-F71D038BE6C9.jpeg

The 1st picture looks like the hazzard relay (what you're holding in you're hand) I can't see the wires connected to it. Thc 4th picture is probably the light for your gauge. Not sure what the others without looking at a wiring diagram. If you don't have one get one and the color of the wires will tell what they're for.
What is the spiket handle used for?

First thing you MUST do is get online and order a factory service manual. These are generally available as reprints, used, or "on CD."

In the meantime, you can go to MyMopar and download a free wiring diagram............these are not as detailed as factory, but can be easier to follow and will do in the meantime.

You understand how these circuits work?

The brake lights are fed from the turn signal switch and are in fact the turn signals when signaling

The tail lamps are fed from a separate wire, which also feeds the lighted side marker lights. I would start by suspecting the bulbs, check all 4. Wrong bulb, forced into a socket with wrong orientation, or maybe one of the socket pigtail/ contact assemblies is mis-aligned or broken in the socket. Could also be a bulb with an internal short between tail and signal filaments.

-
Back