Take a look at these bearings

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Just started reassembly of my engine and when I opened up my main bearings and the 1st "oh, $#1t" moment right off the bat. Now I'm gonna try and post a couple of pix, something that had always given me fits, here goes/ These are brand new, tri metal but probably from the 80s or maybe earlier.
I did set the crank in and plastigaged the clearances,(which are great) and then stopped to ask. I've built engines before, but have never seen anything like this. I can't catch a fingernail on the gray coating where it goes black. So what do you think, junk or not? The other 3 mains in the same box did not look like these, they look normal.
IMG_20210328_110220728.jpg

IMG_20210328_110343742_MP.jpg

I got the rod bearings same brand but from a different seller on ebay, also unopened and new but from back in the day please nevermind the background, they're setting on a stool that has been around the block a time or 3.

How were they packaged? I'm thinking possibly stained from RP over time.

looked like factory packaging. a U shaped cardboard bottom, wrapped in celophane type plastic, and several wraps in heavy paper over that, (paper looked almost like newsprint) and then put into the box of which I showed the PN tab of.... actually a little better packaged than I would have expected. the celophane wrap was not intact but didn't look cut or torn either, I figure deterioration from age.
what do you guys think? I think "junk" but I could be wrong. definitely not stained, the silver appears to be a coating that is "delaminating" for lack of a better term.

well I found another set on EPay, actually from the same place that I got these from, the ones in their listing picture look fine, they must have some that don't look that way. For $20/set, (much less than the local "grocery store" style parts stores are showing that they want for a set) for what this overhaul is costing me, $20 is cheap insurance, to make sure I don't have an issue. I ordered another set, for piece of mind. I've bought from these guys before, they have alot for our engines, have not had any other problems with anything else I have gotten from them. I left them a note to let them know that these came in and were "questionable" to me. they had like 10 sets or something. and they always ship quick. probably as quick as the local Useless Zone or Advance in my experience with them.

Id still like you guys to chime in. Thanks.

Corrosion. Probably an old set of Vandervel brgs.
No nothing looks corroded. Just looks like a coating coming off, delaminating. I'm wondering if the black is supposed to be a bonding agent of sorts like copper is to chrome i've never heard of vandervel until very recently. Are they a good brand typically?
The box shows TRW brand.

I'd probably take a bearing and some red scotch brite pad and polish that outer coating off under my parts washer. I'd bet it'll disappear pretty quickly without issue and not cause any future problems. That said, I only build for myself and sounds like the replacements are pretty cheap.

Yup. 18.95 to my door from ebay. Not like napa who wants a lil more than 4x that for the same thing.

Moisture stains. Can you feel it? If not, run them.

No, I've seen stained bearings before. This is different. There was a slight rolled edge of silver I thought, but can't feel anything. Those bearings have been packaged together for who knows how long. Why was it just the thrust bearing shells that look like this?

-
Back