Taking apart the front end on my 70 swinger

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys & a couple gals 2 questions
I'm removing the drum brakes & replacing with factory heavy *** discs.
I'm looking at all the stuff that has ball joints in them as total garbage & need to replace it all.
I am also switching out the power steering to a manual box, being that the brakes are 73 &up do I need to account for that when I'm ordering new stuff or is the steering knuckles the same ?
Then for the arm off the steering box, will the power steering arm work on the manual box?

The drum knuckles aren’t interchangeable with the disc knuckles as far as I know. All of the steering arms and linkages should be interchangeable between the disc and drum cars. Also you’ll need either a different steering column, or the adapter piece if you’re swapping from power steering to manual. The manual box is shorter and requires a longer steering shaft.

The drum knuckles aren’t interchangeable with the disc knuckles as far as I know. All of the steering arms and linkages should be interchangeable between the disc and drum cars. Also you’ll need either a different steering column, or the adapter piece if you’re swapping from power steering to manual. The manual box is shorter and requires a longer steering shaft.
Okay thank you.

What year is your Power Box, and what year is the Manual unit? There is a difference in sector shafts.. to you have both available to measure? Some " load" into drag link from top, some bottom..

Thanks Ironracer, the Power unit is original to the car 1970.
I have 2 possible choices for the manual boxes, however I'm not sure of their years. One is on a 67 k-member, I assume it's a 67 & I have another but it's 150 miles away so I can't measure it now. I suppose I'll just change it out & see if it works.

Your PS Pittman arm is a small sector shaft. Manual box all use a small sector pittman arm. Pre 72 pittman arm studs point up. 73 up point down.

Last edited:
The pittman arm on the 67 will work. what year is the other one?
Not sure, **** thing is there's no pitman arm on that box, I think I just found some online.
Oh thanks for putting a name to the part I couldn't remember it for nothing

Your PS Pittman arm is a small sector shaft. Manual box all use a large sector pittman arm. Pre 72 pittman arm studs point up. 73 up point down.
Thanks Roy! I was going to dig around some, but got a phone call! I prefer it when Y'all More Knowledgeable folks attack the problem anyhow! Lol

So, you're putting '73 disc brakes on a '70 that has drum, correct? And also going from power steering to manual steering? In that case, you'll need a '68-72 pitman arm (P/S and Manual are the same those years except for the BB cars), you'll need the upper control arms off a '73-6 A-body, an adaptor for the steering column to go from a P/S coupler to a Manual box input shaft or a center shaft and coupler out of a manual steering column, and the '73 disc brake proportioning valve along with the other disc brake parts. You may also have to do a bit of plumbing to connect the hard lines.

So, you're putting '73 disc brakes on a '70 that has drum, correct? And also going from power steering to manual steering? In that case, you'll need a '68-72 pitman arm (P/S and Manual are the same those years except for the BB cars), you'll need the upper control arms off a '73-6 A-body, an adaptor for the steering column to go from a P/S coupler to a Manual box input shaft or a center shaft and coupler out of a manual steering column, and the '73 disc brake proportioning valve along with the other disc brake parts. You may also have to do a bit of plumbing to connect the hard lines.
Great thank you mark, yes it's a drum brake front. sounds like I have everything I need then.

-
Back