Taking my 340 to Caroline Engine for rebuild

-

72dart

Mopa
Reaction score
I have a 1970 340 engine that I've had sitting in my garage and am ready to have it rebuilt and then sell it. I don't know what kind of shape the engine is in except it has never been rebuilt but is locked up. I want to put this out so if someone thinks they would be interested in the engine I could have it built the way they would like it. I have planned to have a stock build on it. Carolina Engine said they could transfer the warranty for $100. If someone may be interested in the motor send me a PM. I hope I have posted this in the right forum and if not someone let me know.
IMG_1637.JPG

You might do better selling the engine as it is. Rebuild cost will most likely be more than someone is willing to pay for it once it's complete. 65'

Agreed. Let the new owner rebuild it the way he wants it. I myself would rather take my own engine to a shop to be built, rather than going thru a 3rd party..... just my opinion - we all have one...................

How much do you want for the locked up engine, can u pull the pan?

Yeah.... I’d be more confident buying an engine that needs to be rebuilt than buying one that has just been rebuilt. Too many ‘questions’ on how good the build was if I wasn’t there to stop by the shop on a regular basis to see the build in progress.

Using crazy numbers, if you were to sell the engine as is for $2,000 and the rebuild will cost $5,000, you won’t be able to sell the rebuilt engine for $7,000 and likely not even for $5,000. As others have said, you will lose money on the project.

Last edited:
I'd just clean it up real good, degrease, drain any coolant etc, take down pertinent casting #'s, slap together a wooded cradle/crate so it's presentable, ready to go and just unload it. Probably get more that way than leaving it like the picture shows.

It's locked up, I'd want to know why. Rusty bores or a broken rod in the crankcase... BIG difference

Thanks for all the feedback. I see the basic consensus is it is better to sell as is. I would need to know if it is rebuildable to have an idea what it is worth. I may try to tear it down and see what I find. I have never done that but am willing to learn just as I have about many mechanical things related to an old Mopar.

Thanks for all the feedback. I see the basic consensus is it is better to sell as is. I would need to know if it is rebuildable to have an idea what it is worth. I may try to tear it down and see what I find. I have never done that but am willing to learn just as I have about many mechanical things related to an old Mopar.
Not too hard. Get a how to rebuild SBM book and some basic tools, should be a cinch.

Tear it all apart and bag and label EVERYTHING. Take the block and crankshaft to a machine shop and have them clean it up and give you some feedback.

The money is in the block and crankshaft so if that checks out then the rest is not a big deal.

Unless you're hobbled by a twisted and evil Home Owner's Association. :BangHead:
:mob:

i got a "cease and desist" from the city once stating i wasnt supposed to be doing major mechanical repairs in my driveway
i called the office and explained to them i wasnt doing any "major mechanical repairs" i was simply changing my oil filter (didnt bother telling them i left the old oil filter attached to the old slant 6, and had the new oil filter attached to a 360)

I would pull the heads and pan and leave the short block together. The buyer could then see the bores and could pop off a few caps on the crank to check the journals.
I agree, if you do a proper rebuild its a money loosing proposition. Even then its a hard sell because most people wont trust the rebuild done by someone else....I know I wouldnt.
You might want to post the vin number to see if you can find the owner of the car it goes to. That is unless you know the car does not exist anymore.

Just repaint it and sell it on craigslist as a "recent rebuid"
:poke:

-
Back