Taking Out The Dash

-

ahlberg

Reaction score
Hi, me and my dad are currently restoring a 68' barracuda fastback, I want to take the dash out and restore it, my dad says its to much work and just to leave it in there and clean it up while its in the car. How complicated is it to take out a dash?
-Thanks

If its anything like my 72 Duster, it's a pain in the ***. You have to disconect all the wiring and climate control vents not to mention there are a lot of hiden screws and bolts, you also have to drop the steering colum if not disconect it all together because there are two real long mounting screws for the steering colum that the dash is conected to. I wouldn't if it's not really needed, the only reason I'm pulling mine is becuse I unfortunatley found out that my car is only good for parts so I'm stripping it of everything so I have have parts for my next car.

The dash can be removed without removing the windshield, but a lot needs to be removed and then the five fasteners under the windshield need to be cut in half. The original bolts go through the dash into the body. If you remove the dash as I have described the new u-nuts need to be installed on the dash and shorter bolts need to go in from the bottom.

Hi All,
I'm the Dad. We're getting the car back from paint on Monday, I'd like to have the windshield in and start putting it together. The thought of pulling the dash out and going through that scares me. We still have to put the trim on, the interior in, the engine in, gas tank / fuel cell in, go through suspension............ It seems like we have about 3000 parts to put on the car together as it is. Is there any real benifet to pulling the dash???? I'm thinking we can get at or clean what we need to without pulling it. Thanks everyone for your input on this and other items!!
Glenn

I'd pull it, you will regret not doing it while the front glass is out, especially if the dash frame needs it.

Ask yourself - what is the one thing you always look at when seated in the car, the dash and the front glass.

Its too easy - especially if the windshield is out. Unless the car has AC there really is not that much to an Abody dash - the wiring harness, and the only other things that need to be yanked or dropped is the steering column, the defrost duct hoses, guage cluster, heater panel, glove box door, the cables to the heater box and the emergency brake. Even if the car has AC its not that much more to it. You dont even need to remove all that stuff just leave it layon the floor of the car. The pad can be taken off after the frame is out.

You can always go back and change out the dash trim and pad with it installed, but the dash frame is another story. The dash is held in with about 5 bolts from the windshield area and two bolts near the kick panel - one on each side - and a couple on the brake pedal support. And as said before the dash doesnt come easy with the glass in.

My .02......good luck deciding.

-
Back