Taking the air pump off the 318

-

js1023

Reaction score
So i am working on a mild rebuild on the dodge D100 pickup truck with 318 throttle body. I currently hooking all the connections back up on the motor. I am going to be running headers off the heads, and as i am hooking things back up I noticed that I really dont need the air pump and seen plenty of people run there cars with out it.

If I do not hook up anything off the air pump will the truck still run, and What would i do if there is a vaccum line that runs off the air pump to the throttle body how would I take care of that issue?

thanks for your guys help this my first rebuild so I am full of questions

Thanks

You have a vacuum line from the air pump to the throttle body? If you disconnect it, you'll need to plug all those hose that are now unused. The computer may see this as an equipment failure and run odd.

If it needs to pass emmisions, leave it on, fab a bracket to re-fit the pump if need be.

If you leave the engine computerized, you may see some engine codes from disconnecting the air pump. It is there to heat up the catalytic converter and get up to operating temperature. All of them I have ever seen removed, the cat was removed with it. In your situation, the addition of headers may lean out and heat up the converter enough not to give any problems....that is, if you still have a converter.

-
Back