Talk about sticker shock!!

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I finally have the Demon ready to go to the bodyshop for finish bodywork and paint. It is solid metal everywhere but does have the little dents and dings that time places on cars that are driven. The car is stripped of all chrome save for the antenna. The interior is out along with the glass except for the rear window. I am looking at a single stage paint as this will be a driver, not a trailer queen.

The first body guy came to the house today, walked around the car a few times and then pronounced $4000.00

I near crapped right there. I know it's not going to be cheap, but I am not looking for show car quality. I just want the car to look good, not perfect.

My search will continue tomorrow.

Still in shock.
Jack

:vom: I'm with ya...did you explain to him as a daily driver job. Got mine done for 1,500 Canadian but the dude told me not to say who did the job because I didn't pay to have a lot of hours spent on it. Half the money, half the job.....Do what your doing.....and look around. I'm interested in what you will find. Please keep us posted, and good luck

Hope your search go's good Jack!!

I think I would have crapped mine to :thumbup:

i am taking a 1999 honda accord to macco monday morning.
1/2 price this month $250.00
i bought the car 2 weeks ago as a total.
the last car i had painted there was very
well done.
longrm

Don't know exactally what you're looking for as far as quality goes, but a few years ago I took a similar car and did the minor bodywork myself (first time!) then took it to Maaco for the $400 paint job. For a driver it actually turned out pretty nice. Its one way to go. Good luck.

Well, I look at it this way. I have a lot of time and effort into this car. The guy was even impressed with the quality of work I did and commented on it. All I want is for it to not have any waves , bumps or dips in it and have the paint not have any orange peel, fisheye or runs and stay on the car. I don't think that is to much to ask. I budgeted $2500 for this and I don't think I am out of line. Maybe I'm wrong and dreaming.

Jack

Maybe I should also add that I am looking for a solid colour (red) with some matte black on the hood.
No metal flake, pearl or candy colours involved.

Jack

Well I can say this on the subject (having painted more crap in my life, cars included, than I really ever wanted to) you will get back out of it what you put into it. I have been on both sides and understand both view points well. You have money and want someone else to do the work and have it of descent enough quality that it will look good and last the daily abuse of driving, the shops want your money and will give you the very least they can for the largest sum but most may also want you to tell others where you had it done so will give you a quality job. RELATIVELY speaking. The more elbow grease you put into it, the less cash into it and MORE pride YOU will get from it. You don't have to be a master body man to do a fairly decent job of it. Also realize A LOT of the cost these days is due to the huge expense of owning and operating a paint booth and all the gov. b.s. red tape. Paints and thinners, boddy putties etc. are considered hazardous materials. All things relative, good luck with your search for the "right price" paint job.

Jack, you're going to get sticker shock almost anywhere these days when it comes to paint. The red color you want is probably in the $600.00 CDN price range per gallon, and that's not counting reducers or hardeners. When you add in things like epoxy primer (if they use it), 2K primer, sealer, and then the cost of the other materials, plus labor, it's going to leave a mark. Keep loking, and get as many estimates as you can, and you may find something that comes within your budget.

You say you don't want any waves, bumps, dips, orange peel, sags, runs, etc., that's basically a show quality paint job. Material is going to run you $1000+ and there's a ton of labour involved. $4000 for a decent paint job is pretty normal I'm afraid. You tend to get what you pay for, if you're at all picky you won't be happy with a cheap paint job.

About 8 months ago I was quoted $2500 for a two stage single color (dark maroon, no metal flake or anything fancy) for my truck. That did not include any body work, underside of hood, door jambs, etc. Body panels and top of hood only. I told them I'd prep it so all they had to do was wipe it down, mask and shoot it. I'd have to live with the results of my own work. I told them orange peel was OK but no drips or sags. I was also told not to tell who did it either.

A note on orange peel. I went to my Fiance's work (she's a BMW tech) and was checking out the new 6 series convertibles (They run about 80 grand). Looked down the side and all orange peel. Same with almost any new car.

Jack you also need to take in to account the price of a gallon of red paint. That alone could be $400-$500.

I would think that kinda US cash should make you happy. You may not have a show car, but a very "sharp" drive-by.
Also.....there maybe a few retired or "backyard" auto painters out there in your area that can do an excellent job for a cheeper fee and a bottle...it's just asking around and finding them. I seen a few paint jobs by these kind of guys....(like Rob above) who's car looks mint.
Hummmm, we all need to live closer together....you do something for me, and i'll do something for you agenda.
I still hope the best for ya.....($ labour sucks $).

I have been doing some asking around to the other car guy's that I know. The popular consenses is that my price of $2500 is not out of line at all. They all say that that much money should get me a very good driver paint job. This is from guys that have paid for paint job's lately (last year or 2). One has a show winner and that is all he paid. I also got some names from him and others of people to call.

Jack

I'm shaking up the spray bombs! How many colors did you want? Just joking! I have to have mine painted too. Just dont have the cash!
GOOD LUCK

Coyote Jack said:
I finally have the Demon ready to go to the bodyshop for finish bodywork and paint. It is solid metal everywhere but does have the little dents and dings that time places on cars that are driven. The car is stripped of all chrome save for the antenna. The interior is out along with the glass except for the rear window. I am looking at a single stage paint as this will be a driver, not a trailer queen.

The first body guy came to the house today, walked around the car a few times and then pronounced $4000.00

I near crapped right there. I know it's not going to be cheap, but I am not looking for show car quality. I just want the car to look good, not perfect.

My search will continue tomorrow.

Still in shock.
Jack

Rob said:
You say you don't want any waves, bumps, dips, orange peel, sags, runs, etc., that's basically a show quality paint job. Material is going to run you $1000+ and there's a ton of labour involved. $4000 for a decent paint job is pretty normal I'm afraid. You tend to get what you pay for, if you're at all picky you won't be happy with a cheap paint job.

I concur with Rob. I'm having one rocker, two quarter patches, new vinyl roof, jams and everything that is green prepped and repainted 5 base coats and 2 clear coats......4000.00. The guy showed me a 70 Challenger he did in black.......no waves, dips, dirt, orange peel. I'll be :angry4: with anything less.

I am no painter by any stretch, but I decided to rent a booth and do mine myself. I priced the epoxy primer and paint at $600.00 and I don't know what it will cost for the booth . That's for 2 stage paint. I figure I'll finish the body work and prime it in the wash bay at work and then just get the booth for 1 day and shoot it. This way if it turns out bad, I"ll know who to blame

I took my wife's dart gt up to the body shop in a near by town and tha guy said 5000. to 5500.00. But she wants it the new orange color, the old burnt orange is what I call it.

gtdart said:
I took my wife's dart gt up to the body shop in a near by town and tha guy said 5000. to 5500.00. But she wants it the new orange color, the old burnt orange is what I call it.

That paint is real expensive. I was going to do my Barracuda that color. Its about $500 a gallon for the base coat.

Any paint on the red side of the spectrum is going to cost more.

I am getting some more quotes tonight and this weekend. These will be quotes from people that I have seen thier work and it is what I am looking for. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Jack

There's a lot of variables that affect the price. For instance, take it to Macco for the special of the day, they will scuff it and shoot it, virtually no labour to speak of and very little material or supplies. Color as mentioned before is a factor, red is more expensive. What type of paint BC/CC or SS. Do you want to strip off all the old paint? How many times has it already been painted? What are you going to find under the old paint? Are you going to trust any previous filler work or re-do it? (I've come across holes twice the size of your fist backfilled with bodytape and then just blobbed over with half inch thick filler). Are you going to use an epoxy sealer? You want it dead straight then you will have to use many applications of a high build primer and or something like Slicksand, and block it and re-prime over and over, lots of work and material/supplies to do that. Are you changing color and need to do jambs, engine bay, etc.? Is there any bodywork and rust to deal with? Are you taking the car apart or just having it masked off? You don't want orange peel, then you have to wetsand and buff, again more work and more supplies. If you're painting a brand new car, its' cheap because you can just sand and shoot. A 40 year old car with dings and fatigued sheet metal needs a lot more work. If you can get a quality job for $2500 good on ya, where I'm from you can't even get a piss poor one for that. Hope it works out for ya :thumbup:

Jack,
For what its worth I run a speed shop for a guy who also has a heavy collision/auto restoration shop. I did most of the work on mine and it still cost me 3500.00! He refuses to do a lack luster job for anyone and I have heard him tell customers if that. I have seen some pretty decent paint jobs come from Maaco.

Garland

Rob said:
There's a lot of variables that affect the price. For instance, take it to Macco for the special of the day, they will scuff it and shoot it, virtually no labour to speak of and very little material or supplies. Color as mentioned before is a factor, red is more expensive. What type of paint BC/CC or SS. Do you want to strip off all the old paint? How many times has it already been painted? What are you going to find under the old paint? Are you going to trust any previous filler work or re-do it? (I've come across holes twice the size of your fist backfilled with bodytape and then just blobbed over with half inch thick filler). Are you going to use an epoxy sealer? You want it dead straight then you will have to use many applications of a high build primer and or something like Slicksand, and block it and re-prime over and over, lots of work and material/supplies to do that. Are you changing color and need to do jambs, engine bay, etc.? Is there any bodywork and rust to deal with? Are you taking the car apart or just having it masked off? You don't want orange peel, then you have to wetsand and buff, again more work and more supplies. If you're painting a brand new car, its' cheap because you can just sand and shoot. A 40 year old car with dings and fatigued sheet metal needs a lot more work. If you can get a quality job for $2500 good on ya, where I'm from you can't even get a piss poor one for that. Hope it works out for ya :thumbup:

WOW! A lot of questions to answer. Here goes.

Paint- most likely single stage, Red solid colour.
Most likely will not require stripping off old paint.
Original paint is on car. Never repainted.
Car was completely disassembled, any rust issues, (very few) were addressed
Only areas that need to be resealed are 2 quarter patches I installed.
Not sure how much is involved in making it dead straight. As I said, 32 years of little dents and dings (15 maybe the size of a quarter) plus the seams for the above mentioned patches.
Colour change from pukey yellow to Red
Engine bay is painted but not underside of hood.
All chrome and glass save for the antenna and back window is removed

This is a very solid car that has never been wrecked. It spent a good part of it's life in a heated garage. It only had 76000 miles on it when I bought it and had very little rust issues. The quarter patches I installed were done because I felt they were a little weak. They were not rusted bad and only on the very bottom inch.

Jack

Coyote Jack said:
WOW! A lot of questions to answer. Here goes.

Paint- most likely single stage, Red solid colour.
Most likely will not require stripping off old paint.
Original paint is on car. Never repainted.
Car was completely disassembled, any rust issues, (very few) were addressed
Only areas that need to be resealed are 2 quarter patches I installed.
Not sure how much is involved in making it dead straight. As I said, 32 years of little dents and dings (15 maybe the size of a quarter) plus the seams for the above mentioned patches.
Colour change from pukey yellow to Red
Engine bay is painted but not underside of hood.
All chrome and glass save for the antenna and back window is removed

This is a very solid car that has never been wrecked. It spent a good part of it's life in a heated garage. It only had 76000 miles on it when I bought it and had very little rust issues. The quarter patches I installed were done because I felt they were a little weak. They were not rusted bad and only on the very bottom inch.

Jack

Jack,

You are pretty much in the same situation as I am.

I have priced out singlestage PPG Delstar paint at about $220 for 1 1/2 gallons to paint my 68 Dart. Red was not any different in price than any other color. I was going to do it myself, I have everything I need to paint, except the garage. I figured that Epoxy primer would also cost about $195. These are all retail prices, I don't get any special discount. The paint dealer I went to was English Color in Dallas.

They also recommended a paint shop that does repaint for a used BMW dealer, they are hidden behinfd the dealer and are not visible to the public from the street. I asked him what it woul;d cost to paint if I pulled all the trim, did all the body work, he would shoot sealer, paint it, and supply the paint for $1000-1500. I looked at some of the cars he had there and I was impressed. Granted there were a lot of non-english speakeing workers there, but that does not matter except in price.

My point it, look for the little shops that do a lot of work. Check with your local paint supply, ask them what they recommend for the money you want to spend. I have to admit, $1500 is a very good price for a street paint job.

well this all sounds cheap!!!
but then again i am not getting a dailer driver paint job!! LOL
However for the color and such i can easily see $3000.00 bids coming your way.

-RPM

-
Back