Talk me out of keeping my mustang.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
So I bought a 2000 mustang gt a few years ago. My intention was to just have something fun until I could afford a nice truck to haul the dart. Well the mustang is about to be paid off and now I'm debating just buyying a cheap beater truck and start dumping money into the mustang. My good friend is going to be selling his truck this winter and I could probably pick it up for 1500 and the motor is a fresh rebuild.

I figured I would come to some of my closest ford haters to talk me out of this.

For those that are wondering what the plans are for the mustang. Probably a super charger on the junk 4.6 and have fun on the street or gut it and throw in a old big block or small block and make it a race car.

Ok. This is easy.

It's a piece of ****. It will never be collectible. If it was a 73 and back, I would say keep it because it's cool. It's not cool and it will never be cool.

How's that?

I would have to agree on the 73 back mustangs.
It would have to be 73 or older and a fastback.
So what is this beater truck?

Easy for me as well. I don't like modern cars.

I'm not concerned about collectibility or anything like that. I love my dart but I sort of want a more modern car with power and comfort. The mustang will not be paid off until the winter so I'm just kicking around ideas right now.

Mustangs are cool. I've had a bunch. Why spend money on the stang? It will just take time and money from getting a good truck, or making the Dart better. Your daily driver is a priority. Buy a decent truck. Sell the stang.

I'm not concerned about collectibility or anything like that. I love my dart but I sort of want a more modern car with power and comfort. The mustang will not be paid off until the winter so I'm just kicking around ideas right now.

Ok, then see my "It's a piece of ****" quote.

I mean a newer mustang? Seriously?

You may as well have said "Talk me out of bein gay"

Mustangs are cool. I've had a bunch. Why spend money on the stang? It will just take time and money from getting a good truck, or making the Dart better. Your daily driver is a priority. Buy a decent truck. Sell the stang.

That's my orginial idea. I picked up the mustang for $4000 with 80,000 miles on it. Now it has 117,000 but it's clean and I should be able to get about 5 out of it no problem. That could get me a nice truck and a start toward a trailer as well. The only problem is that I have really been seeing some fourth generation mustangs that I like.

Haha this is exactly why I asked mopar guys. I love mopars and just bought the mustang because it was a good deal and I wanted a vehicle that I enjoyed driving. I have no attachment to the car at all and it would be easy to sell it but I have been seeing more that I like now that the time to sell is coming up.

If you are not having issues with the car I would keep it.
Keep in mind that you cannot finance a car that is over 10 years old, unless you want to pay stupid interest rates. So it may be harder to sell than you think.

Beater trucks are hard to beat, but they will nickle and dime you until you go thru about everything. Nice to go pick a load of gravel, firewall etc. and not have to worry about scratching it.

That's my orginial idea. I picked up the mustang for $4000 with 80,000 miles on it. Now it has 117,000 but it's clean and I should be able to get about 5 out of it no problem. That could get me a nice truck and a start toward a trailer as well. The only problem is that I have really been seeing some fourth generation mustangs that I like.

if it were me......I would do a victory dance when its paid off and take care of it and drive it as a daily driver. A car like that is handy because parts are very available and will be for years. A car like that is a nice modern V8 two door that wont be embarrassing in public especially on a date or weekend cruise.

I don't like car payments, I like to put cash into either a mopar or my pocket and a modern 2 door car that is paid for with 117k miles that should be easy to maintain sounds like a pretty good freaking deal to me....sounds like you could be set up for years in the transportation dept.

If its not broken then why fix it.

If you are not having issues with the car I would keep it.
Keep in mind that you cannot finance a car that is over 10 years old, unless you want to pay stupid interest rates. So it may be harder to sell than you think.

Beater trucks are hard to beat, but they will nickle and dime you until you go thru about everything. Nice to go pick a load of gravel, firewall etc. and not have to worry about scratching it.

That's why I'm looking at a beater that I know. We finished the motor up a couple weeks ago so as long as it keeps running like a top that will be the truck.

That's an issue I have not thought about. Credit unions will allow you to use the car as collateral for a loan of the amount of the car. I had a friend that had to do that when buyying a car. He barrowed some money from his dad to buy the car then went to a credit union and got a loan for the amount and used the car as collateral then paid his dad back.

Maybe I'll put it up for sale for a high asking price at first and see if I get any bites.

WOW you're gay ??? wuld never have guessed :;) dump the stang

In all honesty, I don't think anyone can deny the later Mustang as a great package. They are small and light and accept a V8 easily and can be built CHEAP.

But that said, what's NOT been done with them? It's kinda like powering anything with a small block Chevy engine. Who hasn't? And in everything imaginable.

There's no imagination, no originality, no nuthin, because it's all been done.

A Mopar on the other hand.........

is totally different.

not sure how far ya drive to work? but the stang should be economical, the t ruck???? maybe not. if you can use the truck as D D, sell the stang crapmobile, and put that $$ in the mopar!!!! ha

not sure how far ya drive to work? but the stang should be economical, the t ruck???? maybe not. if you can use the truck as D D, sell the stang crapmobile, and put that $$ in the mopar!!!! ha

Right now I drive about 70 miles a day.

If your serious about making a drag car I say yes. I back halved my son's Mustang and have learned more about Fords than I ever wanted to. These things are like instant race car chassis' with tons of cheap parts and everything has been done to them so there is no guess work. We did put a Chrysler 8.75 axle in his for economic reasons because we had some, me and other son are Dodge men.

It sure was fun choppin' into a Ford though. Lots of laughs in my shop.

If your serious about making a drag car I say yes. I back halved my son's Mustang and have learned more about Fords than I ever wanted to. These things are like instant race car chassis' with tons of cheap parts and everything has been done to them so there is no guess work. We did put a Chrysler 8.75 axle in his for economic reasons because we had some, me and other son are Dodge men.

It sure was fun choppin' into a Ford though. Lots of laughs in my shop.

What year was it? I have heard some guys say that switching to a old style big or small block in those cars is difficult.

Right now I drive about 70 miles a day.

You don't want a truck for a DD, fuel will kill you.
Most old trucks get about 15 mpg max, so that is 5 gallons of fuel a day.

Sell the 'Stang and buy an SRT-4 neon or caliber, better fuel mileage than the 'Stang and you can always do upgrades to the SRT and get it crazy fast!

I've always liked 99-04 stangs but my wife is now on number 4 and hopefully by next summer we'll be able to sell her 04 and buy a '15 ScatPack or SRT (392) Challenger and then get an older wrangler or a cheaper 4 door car for a winter car

You don't want a truck for a DD, fuel will kill you.
Most old trucks get about 15 mpg max, so that is 5 gallons of fuel a day.

I didn't think about that either. Looks like if I keep the mustang it will just be a quick street car.

My orginial plan was to sell the mustang and get a nice truck and buy a nice roller to turn into a race car. I really don't want to do a fox body that much but it would be dirt cheap and right now going fast > being different. Possibly a ford maverick as a second option.

Before I get torn apart for sayying that I'll say this. I would build another mopar in a heart beat but the simple fact is that I already have ford parts layying around and I do not want to spend another 2 grand on heads then another few thousand on the rest of the drive train. I would turn the dart into a race car but I don't want to make the car so I can't drive it anywhere without breaking the bank.

Sell the 'Stang and buy an SRT-4 neon or caliber, better fuel mileage than the 'Stang and you can always do upgrades to the SRT and get it crazy fast!

I've always liked 99-04 stangs but my wife is now on number 4 and hopefully by next summer we'll be able to sell her 04 and buy a '15 ScatPack or SRT (392) Challenger and then get an older wrangler or a cheaper 4 door car for a winter car

Right now a challenger or charger isn't in the budget or I would jump on that!

What year was it? I have heard some guys say that switching to a old style big or small block in those cars is difficult.

!988 was 302 now 351w.

What engine is yours, single or double cams. My Dodge son who is a mechanic at a Ford dealership wants to know. Single don't bother double 700hp all day long.

-
Back