Talked to my transmission guy-------

-
What's wrong with the A-518? Mine works very good.

same isuue as a 727. too big abd bulky and robs too much power. go with a 904 or 500 trans. smaller, will hold more then enough power and doesn't rob as much power. plus i am pretty sure the 500 has the low first gear in it

same isuue as a 727. too big abd bulky and robs too much power. go with a 904 or 500 trans. smaller, will hold more then enough power and doesn't rob as much power. plus i am pretty sure the 500 has the low first gear in it

a500 is a good choice unless you want any kind of stall converter, they are all lockups. I have heard of a few guys changing pumps and input shafts to the non lock up version though.

There are places that will build lockup converters for A-500 with higher stalls.

There's nothing wrong with running a 518, if you prefer that, or have already done it.

I see your point. If I was running a 360 I would have went with the 500. Pretty sure my 440 would shred a 904 or 500 unless I spent big bucks upgrading them though. I've got two years and about 30 hard passes on my 518 now with no issues. Mines non lock up so it uses the same converter as a 727 so I was able to go with a 9.5 inch 4000 stall. low 11s, 3000 rpm @ 65 mph with 4.57 gears and 12.5 mpg on the highway plus I drive it to and from the track. The 518 install cost me about $3000 including the converter, JW Ultrabell and B&M Pro ratchet shifter. Great bang for the buck.

A small group of Mopar nuts from the Bay Area and Sacramento are going to drive down for Track Day and Spring Fling in April. We cut through Hollister on 25, head through Coalinga, and then south on 33 to Willow Springs. It's a beautiful drive on the old roads of California.

I would be interested in tagging along for part of the drive if I'm around.
I'm in Hollister and about 2 minutes from 25

-
Back