Tallest front tire on a 71 Duster

-

Racingduster

Certified Welder
Reaction score
Im trying to find out what is the tallest front tire I can fit on my Duster so I can order them. I have not cut my fenders at all. We had to do that to our Dart to get a 28" tire to fit. I know that the Duster wheel well is a different design, but I dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I already have the rims, Aluma Star 2.0 15x3.5 and im running 4.5" bolt pattern and the SSBC disk brake kit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Attachments

• 2012-06-30_21-44-57_593.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 524
  • 2012-07-03_08-51-56_352.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 2012-07-11_18-43-48_832.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 521
  • 2012-07-11_18-46-22_372.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 493
  • 2012-05-12_20-44-52_461.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 492
I have 28" tall tires on my '71 Demon and have no trouble with fender clearance.

I'm running MT 28.0 x 4.5 x 15 front runners on Weld 4.5 rims. The fenders have no trimming. Clearence at front is closest, with about 5/8 inch when tires are straight. They dont rub. Turning clearance is much more.

just curious as to why a taller tire is better?

i have a 165r15 in my 15x4 wheels

More rollout between the stage beam and the starting line.......it's like getting a mini headstart before the clocks begin.

Just to add: Taller tire (larger circumference) with more rollout will give a hair better et. which is why class racers (Stock,Superstock) often use them as they need everything they can get when qualifying or running heads up. However, it also slows your recorded reaction time so that must be compensated for........................On the other hand the heads up classes (Super comp, gas, street) are mainly won by reaction time so most of those racers use a short tire to enhance that part of the run. There's even more to all this if you start getting into Deep/Shallow staging, but i'll just shut up now.:D

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 438
I found that with a little taller front tire I was more consistant parking the car in the beams which made my RT's more consistant. But a short tire does make a big differance in how fast you leave. IMHO

If you are using "new geometry" upper arms which increase caster then increased caster means more clearance at the front. I am running 28" but have caster set at 6 degrees positive.

28Xskinny
LOL Bob, no help but a good laff. Off course skinny!

I'm running MT 28.0 x 4.5 x 15 front runners on Weld 4.5 rims. The fenders have no trimming. Clearence at front is closest, with about 5/8 inch when tires are straight. They dont rub. Turning clearance is much more.

Thank you!

Ok, thanks for all the input!!! I think Im gonna buy a pair and see if they fit.

The main reason I want to run 28 tall is on our Dart it really help the suspension work better on the launch. We did have to remove some off of the fender for clearance (but that was with stock Upper control arms, and I think it didnt need to be done if we had gone with the adjustable upper to begin with) With 26 tall, super stock springs and foot braking the car every thing was cool. That was with about a 650 hp 451 ci. The motor got upgraded to about 750 hp, cal tracks, and trans brake, we spun ALOT on the launch. After a bunch of testing we went with a 28 tall tire. that way we where able to relax the front suspension a bit so the car would be able to rise the front a little more at the same time/rate as the rear. When we did that it picked up 60 foots ALOT! we where able to back off on the cal tracks a little and it seamed like the car just LOVED it.

So Im thinking that im gonna do the same to the Duster in hopes that it will work out the same for me.

Ive been searching here and BigBlockDart.com and Moparts to find the info that I want and I cant seem to find what im looking for....So here I am.

If any of you guys have any experience to what Im talking about PLEASE chime it!!

Thanks for your time, and thanks for all of your replies!!
RACINGDUSTER

What torsion bars are you running? Or are you coil overs?

Thanks for the reply

I found that with a little taller front tire I was more consistant parking the car in the beams which made my RT's more consistant. But a short tire does make a big differance in how fast you leave. IMHO

you can stage and be just as consistent you just have to learn the car... what you gain by a tall front tire is rollout... the amount of time your moving before the beam is tripped and your time starts... BUT YOUR ALREADY MOVING!!

THANK YOU! I have tried to explain this to friend of mine, now I can print this off and show him what Im talking about. This is another reason that im looking into doing this. You made very easy to understand. Im kinda long winded and run off track easy......

More rollout between the stage beam and the starting line.......it's like getting a mini headstart before the clocks begin.

Just to add: Taller tire (larger circumference) with more rollout will give a hair better et. which is why class racers (Stock,Superstock) often use them as they need everything they can get when qualifying or running heads up. However, it also slows your recorded reaction time so that must be compensated for........................On the other hand the heads up classes (Super comp, gas, street) are mainly won by reaction time so most of those racers use a short tire to enhance that part of the run. There's even more to all this if you start getting into Deep/Shallow staging, but i'll just shut up now.:D

RIGHT ON BROTHER!:cheers:

you can stage and be just as consistent you just have to learn the car... what you gain by a tall front tire is rollout... the amount of time your moving before the beam is tripped and your time starts... BUT YOUR ALREADY MOVING!!

I never stated that a person couldn't be just as consistant using a smaller or taller tire. I was stating what works for ME. Hence the amount of times I used the word "I", as in me. I have learned MY car over the last 36 years pretty well. I've tried front runner as small as 24" and as large as 28" with different air pressures and found what works best for MY car and I is a 26" front tire with 36 pounds of air in it. With that combo I (ME) can hit the EXACT same spot at the line about lets see................EVERY TIME! As far as roll out goes, it really doesn't matter as long as I park it in the same place every time. If I'm at another track and the roll out is different, which it is more times than not, I roll numbers in or out of the box (delay box). Please don't take offence to anything I've written here, but this isn't my first rodeo.

-
Back