tank venting question

-

MOBodyman

Reaction score
How are pre-'71 tanks vented? It is my understanding from reading the gas cap thread that the pre-'71 caps are non-vented and I know the pre-'71 tanks don't have the nipple for a vent line.
I also know post-'71 cars use a gas tank with a vent nipple and a line that goes to the charcoal cannister. They also use a vented cap.
What I want to do is use a pre-'71 tank on my '71 Scamp. It originally had the 4 vent tubes on the tank with one that went to the valve cover breather. I eliminated all of that vent system.
To use my 'early' tank, what filler tube and cap do I need to use? Can I just use a pre-'71 filler tube and cap? Or should I use a post-'71 filler tube so I can use a vented cap?
Thanks,
Dallas

A post 71 filler tube slides in from outsde the quarter and will not work propely. The pre 71 had a vent tube built into the filler tube and will fit a 71. I have a 71 what I did was knocked a hole into the top of my filler neck big enough to run a 1/8 pipe tap in. I then inatalled a threaded hose nupple and attached a pre 71 vent line. I did this to keep my 71 painted cap. If I was goung to repaint a cap I would have just used a pre 71 fill tube with the vent line, I have them if needed for pictures of what they look like or for sale.Steve

Thanks for the reply. I forgot about the post-'71 fillers going through the body from the outside.
I can't reuse my '71 filler tube as it was nasty and rusty. I soaked it in vinegar for a couple of days.........got rid of the rust but ate some pinholes in it where the bad pits were. :angry4:
I have a '67 and a '68 parts car. I'll take the filler tubes out of them and see if they are any good. I may have to come up with an early cap. My '67 doesn't have one and I gave away the one that was on my '68. Are they available at the parts store?
Dallas

-
Back