Tap, Tap, Tap...

-

68SRVIVR

Rick/'68 Barracuda 340-S
Reaction score
Hi-
I hear a tapping from my 1968 340 motor.
Spead of tapping increases when revved.
Motor runs smooth, no smoke, etc.
My mechanic thinks it is a stuck lifter.
I changed oil (VR-1, OEM Mopar filter) in spring and noticed
that oil reads past full level on dipstick.
Could this be problem?

Thanks, Rick

how many miles on this motor ?? or cam and lifters?? or srpings or push rods,,

maybe a lifter isnt pumping up,,,maybe a worn push rod,,you can buy an additive to stop the lifter from ticking ,,if thats the problem,,,if it works its just a bandaid,,,sooner or later the problem may come back,,

take a valve cover off and look around,,,ide hate to think its a cam going bad,, geting proper oil to the heads?? does it go away when driving ??

bg moa is a really good addiive. if it is a lifter sticking put it in with the engine ideling and you can hear it go away lol its kinda cool. but any additive would just be a bandaid. maby a bandaid that as long as u keep it in its fine but i would try to track it down more. maby get a stethscope and pinpoint the area then dig in lol

Overfilling the oil can cause aeration and prevent a lifter from pumping up. This could cause a tapping noise. When you changed the oil did you put 5 qts. in with the change of the oil filter? If it`s a new cam and lifters, don`t be surprised if it isn`t a lifter as there have been a lot of problems reported with many of the MP kits.

318 with 123 thousand miles. Could be a lack of top end oil. If so the valve noise will get worse as the engine gets hotter.
Then it might be the timming chain slapping the inside of the cover. Even the fuel pump can make noise. A transmission funnel makes a suitable stethiscope.

You could try a can of Rislone in it, (drain the same amount of oil before adding) and see if it quiets it down. If it`s a stuck lifter the Rislone might free it.

restore is for scratched cylinder walls,,,and it does help,, i used it in a ford turbo coupe with 145,000 miles on it every oil change,,,

i used the rosline once in a 66 dart 273 car,,,after the rosline the rear main started leaking,,,,

you may have worn rockers,,push rods,,valve stems,,could be a lot of things,,,you are going to have to DIG IN and take a look,,first figure out where the niose is comming from,, take a valve cover of an dsee if your getting proper oil flow to start with,,,you may have clogged oil passages not allowing enough oil to the lifter area or rocker arms,,

Thanks, fstfsh...I met you at Carlisle with my wife.
I commented on maybe getting BIGGER rear tires for your '66!
Your ride is BAD-***!

DSC00544.jpg

Hate to say it but it could very well have lost the pin clip that holds the wrist pin into the piston and could very well be the pin tapdancing and grinding the cylinder wall.

It's not mine , I'm just standing next to it.
It belongs to fstfsh66.
You can view mine in my profile 68SRVIVR.

Take the valve covers off and run the engine. Watch all of the pushrods moving up and down and try to find one that is spinning noticeably; that should also be closest to the source of the tapping sound. Shut off the engine, remove the rocker shaft on the side with the collapsed lifter, pull the pushrod out, then use a wire clothes hanger (or other similar hook-like tool) and pull out the lifter. If you take the lifter apart and clean it, put it back together, then prime it (fill the inside with as much oil as you can before you put it back together) by pushing the plunger until it doesn't compress any more. Put it back in, reassemble the valve train stuff, and start it up and the noise should be gone for good. If the noise is still there then it's something more serious.

Are you sure it's not an exhaust leak at the manifold. I have seen that before and it can sound just like a bad lifter or rocker.

Jack

i have 2 friends currently chasing this same problem with big blocks,,after standing on it hard,, ill post what they find ,,

-
Back