Tappet noise

-

fastmopar

fastmopar06
Reaction score
I started my engine last night after 3 years of sitting partially done.

It's an overbored 318 (.060) with 360 heads. I matched lifters and push rods to the heads (They came from the 360).

Once we got fuel to the carb...... it started right up. Idle was a little rough, probably due to OOOLLLLLDDDD gas.

Once it was running the valve rockers would not quiet down. I ran it long enough that the lifters should have pumped up and gone quiet.

Any ideas?

Push rods too long? Lifters dead from sitting too long???.......

Thanks,

fastmopar

Dunno. The rocker shafts should have been left loose if sitting that long. Saves the lifters and the springs.
If all the lifters rattle something more serious is wrong. If its just one or 3 making a noise, let it idle. May take 15 mins to pump them up.

If its one or two lifters pour add a quart of transmission fluid to you engine oil .It works great.... If its most or all the lifters you may need new lifters.. Jim

Its the bad gas and new gas,the new gas has alcohol in it.
It cleans all the gunk out and hangs open the intake valves. Take the gas tank out and have it boiled out.
I have seen this happen on two new engines, both suffered mechanical damage. Good luck Ihope you catch this in time

-
Back