Tear into it, or bolt in and go???

-
Do you know if the op has had the motor running yet?

Do you know if the op has had the motor running yet?
I haven’t had it running, but the seller videoed himself running it on a stand. Right now it’s got the intake pulled off, water pump off, and it’s on a stand.

FYI, I was off a little on the compression. You guys all had me second guessing and went back and looked at my notes. All cylinders were between 170-180, not 185 like I posted earlier. Don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

It looks super clean inside, don’t see any markings on the pistons. Pulled the water pump as I saw evidence of a leak at the top, and at the one bolt that runs right through into the lifter valley. I think that’s all I want to do, I feel like if I pull the timing cover I’m just inviting leaks at the oil pan. I am super curious if it has an upgraded cam, but I really also just want to get it all back together and in the car.

That's cool, thanks for the update. Good luck with your project. Send pictures of your progress.

I haven’t had it running, but the seller videoed himself running it on a stand. Right now it’s got the intake pulled off, water pump off, and it’s on a stand.

FYI, I was off a little on the compression. You guys all had me second guessing and went back and looked at my notes. All cylinders were between 170-180, not 185 like I posted earlier. Don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

It looks super clean inside, don’t see any markings on the pistons. Pulled the water pump as I saw evidence of a leak at the top, and at the one bolt that runs right through into the lifter valley. I think that’s all I want to do, I feel like if I pull the timing cover I’m just inviting leaks at the oil pan. I am super curious if it has an upgraded cam, but I really also just want to get it all back together and in the car.

170-180 is still a healthy 318! Obviously it depends on cam specs and things but that’s still probably still close to the 9:1 ballpark for compression, certainly not stock 360 heads slapped on over stock pistons.

I totally understand, I don’t think I’d tear too far into it either unless I saw something to give me a reason to. Sounds like you’ve got better reasons not to, bolt it back together and run it!

Just a driver? Drop the pan, check the bearings, timing chain and maybe a rear seal. Learned that one the hard way with an Olds 307Y that I put into an Electra I had from great aunt. Most other stuff can be done while the engine is in the car.

Hey, so for anyone wanting an update, I’ve pulled the intake/carb, water pump, and valve covers, and that’s as far as I’m going to go for that. There were no visible leaks around the water pump, but when I pulled it I could see it had been leaking around the bolts, so
I had to clean the bolts and holes up for the water pump. So now I’m just cleaning up all the gasket surfaces, getting ready to mask it all up and degrease and paint the engine. I’ve got the water pump and alternator brackets primed, ready for paint, and I’m cleaning up the intake and carb. The intake is cleaning up nicely with a little lacquer thinner and steel wool. Hoping to have it all back together and on the road by late April.

IMG_5882.jpeg

-
Back