tell me your 440 combo

-

440valiant

cuda
Reaction score
hey

I have a 440 out of a 77 dodge pickup, right now its all apart, right down to the block. im not really sure what to do?? im looking for about 400+ hp.

could you guys post your 440 stats?

thanks

My 440 in my GTX is bone stock but if you are considering putting this in your Barracuda and you are looking for 400HP, you may want to consider sticking with a small block (340/360) and save a little weight on the front end of the car.

the bad part is i only have a 318 in my cuda, mabey thought

also if i wanted 400 plus hp out of my stock 440 could i keep the original heads and just get them ported>?? thanks

Most likely yes most any big block head with some porting will get you 400hp thats a pretty low number for a 440 should be very easy to build a 400hp 440. But i have to agree with gtx if your goal is only around 400hp find a cheap 360 and start from there. 360s will also fairly easily get you 400 hp not as easy as a 440 but all the extra weight will hurt you. A nicely rebuilt 360 with a well chosen cam, intake, carb, headers etc will put you right about where you want to be and make it more driveable and honestly faster than an equal output big block just because of the weight savings Good Luck whichever way you go Justin

First of all, 360s are pretty plentiful and one way or another, you are going to be spending money on building either motor and I would still recommend a 360.

On the flip side, the late model 440 is going to be running low 8's compression-wise. Instead of porting the late model heads, I would consider putting money into slightly higher compression pistons and other internal components and think about beter heads.

There are really several options for you here. Consider that the stock 440 in my GTX was rated at 375HP stock (that is with a 10.25 compression ratio though). Upgrading the induction system and adding headers is going to get you were you want to be.

Again, I think the 360 would be nice in your '69. Having a very similar compression ratio, some headers, 2.02 heads and the right cam will get you to 400HP too.

You may also want to consider what other components you may need to upgrade as well (ie. trans, convertor, rearend, etc.)

400 hp from a 440 is relatively easy. In an A-body, headers will cost a pretty penny but are well worth the money. With ported heads, a mild cam ,good intake ,carb and an electronic ignition you should easily reach your goal of 400 hp without breaking the bank. Another question you should ask yourself before you go with a 440 is : can the rest of the car handle a 440 with 400 hp? When installing a big block in these cars you have to think of the entire build.

I got a 440 out of a 1970 Chrysler for my Swinger. It was a 375 hp engine from the factory. Before putting it in my Swinger it got a little head work, a Mopar performance cam, Holley Terminator ignition, Holley single plane intake with a 780 cfm Holley carb.
With the beefed up 727 trans and 3:55 gears (8-3/4") it moves right along and I would guess it is making at least 400 hp.:cheers:

Your not asking for much. As stated earlier the stock 440 in 70 claimed 375 HP but as the hemi i think these #s were somewhat under rated. 400 horse is only a 25 gain which can be achieved with one correct bolt on. Some of the guys are correct in stating the small block my be your best bet. I had a 318 done and we play with 396 cars when we hunt em down. It's in a Triple black 72 Duster. Most of em don't want to play. That's what us older farts do on a nice Sat night. We go to town and go hunting. However i am building a 440 Duster and the build is pushing 550 Hp at a cost of about $6000 on motor alone. My 318 was $4000. It's you nickel so remember you'll be the one that will have to make up the excuses for getting you but waxed while out HUNTING. Have fun and keep us posted.

I've got a 440 in my 69 'cuda and it's a pain to do anything with. I'd go with a 360 or with the price of the stroker kits coming down I'd stroke a 360.

Like the guys say that 440 you've got is the low compression (we used to call them lungers) but you may have the good 452 heads on it but who knows without checking. I think they were rated around 300 HP. The first thing that you've got to do is get the comp. ratio up around 10 to 1 otherwise it wont really benefit from add ons. If they are 452 heads I'd leave the ports alone and since they'll allready have the hardened valve seats just get a valve job done. Then a mild cam, headers, mopar ignition, RPM Performer intake, 750-850 DP Demon or Holley and you'll easily make 400HP probably closer to 450HP. But it doesn't end there, that's only the start. Ya gotto get a good rad, big bore exhaust all the way to the back, rebuilt strong 727, 8 3/4 rear with posi, sub frame connectors, discs out front if you don't already have them, now it's getting expensive. If you were to go with a 400HP 360 you can probably use your existing power train like if you've got the 904 tranny and a 8 1/4 rear, hell your existing rad will probably be sufficient.

Terry:burnout:

Heres a few:
1978 440, stock long block, Crane H302-2 cam (.518/308 int, .528/318 exh hydraulic), iron 6bbl, 1 3/4 headers, apprx 70K on longblock: 106mph = 402hp at crank on pump unleaded.
1970 440, stock shortblock w 65K miles, 516 heads home ported by me, 1.5 Crane iron rockers, MP.528 solid, 1 7/8 headers, Torker II and 800 Holley: 113mph = 465 crank hp on VP Purple (12.8:1 static)
1968 446(440+.030) KB hypers, ported 915s (also by me but after a lot of improvement on my part...lol), MP.528 solid, 1 7/8 headers, Street Dominator, 750 holley with factory dual snorkel air cleaner: mph = 503 crank hp on pump unleaded

For 400 hp, rebuild it with flat tops at 0 deck, and do basic performance rebuild on heads. no need for porting, dont waste your money on gimicks or aftermarket heads. A hydraulic cam, and headers, and using the factory intake and carb you'll surpass 400hp. Build it right, and later you can upgrade to better heads and cam and really make it fly.

-
Back