Telling a tale of ebay fraud

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPObr44

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'd like to tell you something that happened to me today, and maybe get some thoughts about it.
It all started with my 71 Valiant, and the stock AM radio contained within. It didn't work worth a darn when I got the car. But since I'm an electronics technician, I was able to repair and tune it to new in no time. Since I have no use for a mono AM radio, I listed it on ebay. Here's my original auction.

Chrysler Solid State AM radio | eBay

It was listed for a very long time, because I wasn't sure how much a mint restored AM radio was worth. Eventually I lowered the price, and waited some more. Then I had a buyer, named we_are_buying_and_selling_everything. An unusual name, but frankly I don't care if they resell it as long as I'm paid. I sold it for 40 bucks, plus shipping.
Sent it priority mail, well packed, and I even removed the knobs and wrapped them separate so they wouldn't get bashed on the way. 40 year old plastics and all.

Delivery was today, and I immediately got a return request from the buyer stating the item was damaged. The buyer posted pictures that seemed to show one of the shafts bent and a big hole in the box. There were several complaints about my use of tightly packed newspaper as packing.
Here's the photos the buyer sent me.
dwadaw.jpg
index.jpg
indexawddawd.jpg

Note the serial number. There's one more picture I'm leaving out, which is the one that has my address on the label, in my handwriting. All it shows is the packing.

I politely offered a photocopy of the USPS receipt, which had 50 dollars insurance included. That's more than they paid for the radio in the first place. They refused insistently, claiming it was my fault the package got damaged. More demands for full refund, and in rather poor grammar I might add.

The buyer began to become irate, and I politely reminded them that the auction clearly stated as is no returns. Why no returns? Well frankly I didn't want the dang thing back, not that I told that to the buyer.

Eventually I did a partial refund which included the purchase price minus my real shipping costs, with the clause they keep the radio. They accepted.
At that point I was pleased. After all, the USPS insurance claim is worth more than the refund. So I did my due diligence and filed the claim. It's still pending. So some guy got a 50 year old radio for the price of shipping. Big whoop, I can live with that.

But what I can't live with is this.
Chrysler Solid State AM radio,dodge,plymouth,mopar | eBay

Guess what, that's the same radio. They even reused my pictures. Note again... the serial number. And note the condition... supposedly near mint like new? Oh? But I thought it was busted up and needed a refund. Note the name of their auction as well.

Liar.

So if any of you are looking for an AM radio for your mopar, don't buy that one!

People are assholes!!! Never amazes me on what some people will do...

If I was in your shoes I would go full bore after them. Get eBay, USPS involved.
I know that you believe you will break even with the USPS insurance, but why let the creeps go on? For me the satisfaction of getting them chopped would be better than my money back.

If I was in your shoes I would go full bore after them. Get eBay, USPS involved.
I know that you believe you will break even with the USPS insurance, but why let the creeps go on? For me the satisfaction of getting them chopped would be better than my money back.
I already reported that particular auction, but besides that I don't know what to do. I agree fully... I would give up the cash if I could just stop the fraud.

well would you look at that, that listing ending because "the item was lost or broken"

I just got a pleasant email from said seller.

"Just so you know I am turning your post on A bodies form over to my attorney, everything you said and stated was a lie, you should’ve found out and got your fact correct before posting my name on the internet. I borrowed your pictures and listed your radio as you can tell by the date before I even received your item because I listed my duster with the aftermarket radio in no longer needed an AM radio anyways! So once I received your broken item I canceled the auction. You thought you were bashing me but you effed your self instead"
evidence 3.png

Hmm, so if this person didn't need an AM radio... then why did he buy mine? And why is that listing now down but not earlier when he supposedly received my supposed broken item? For that matter, why did he list a radio he didn't even possess? And just for the record, I took a screen shot of his auction as soon as I spotted it. Note the time.

Evidence 1.png

Once again, I say it loud and clear.

Liar.

That's crazy I have had a similar experience on Ebay. People are stupid and will do anything to make a buck. Basically he wanted a refund and keep the nice radio and send you his broken one back to you.

**** happens, Good luck with your pursuit of gratification. Don't link your Paypal to your ebay (as in Ebay remembers your paypal password so all you have to do is hit 'pay with paypal' from within ebay) Becasue if your ebay gets jacked, they can buy anything they want and paypal will tell you their side was authorized. No protection there.

I just got a pleasant email from said seller.

"Just so you know I am turning your post on A bodies form over to my attorney, everything you said and stated was a lie, you should’ve found out and got your fact correct before posting my name on the internet. I borrowed your pictures and listed your radio as you can tell by the date before I even received your item because I listed my duster with the aftermarket radio in no longer needed an AM radio anyways! So once I received your broken item I canceled the auction. You thought you were bashing me but you effed your self instead"
View attachment 1715477694

Hmm, so if this person didn't need an AM radio... then why did he buy mine? And why is that listing now down but not earlier when he supposedly received my supposed broken item? For that matter, why did he list a radio he didn't even possess? And just for the record, I took a screen shot of his auction as soon as I spotted it. Note the time.

View attachment 1715477695

Once again, I say it loud and clear.

Liar.

So why would he list the broken radio for more than twice what he paid for it???

So he's turning this over to his attorney... :rolleyes:

He will pay more in attorney fees than he paid for the part... sounds like BS to me.... :bs_flag:

How much do you think his attorney will charge him to handle the case??? Way more than the $40 that he paid for the part originally...

Also, did you leave him negative feedback to ding his ebay rating???

So why would he list the broken radio for more than twice what he paid for it???

So he's turning this over to his attorney... :rolleyes:

He will pay more in attorney fees than he paid for the part... sounds like BS to me.... :bs_flag:

How much do you think his attorney will charge him to handle the case??? Way more than the $40 that he paid for the part originally...

Also, did you leave him negative feedback to ding his ebay rating???
Not to mention the fact that there's no attorney in this country who would take the case, because it would be an instant lose in any real court of law. First amendment rights and all that.

Unfortunately, I left a positive feedback the moment I got paid. Yeah yeah I know, I shouldn't have. Too late now :/

Not to mention the fact that there's no attorney in this country who would take the case, because it would be an instant lose in any real court of law. First amendment rights and all that.

Unfortunately, I left a positive feedback the moment I got paid. Yeah yeah I know, I shouldn't have. Too late now :/

You should have waited on giving the feedback.... :BangHead:

been there OP. I feel your pain.
The bigger violation here (believe it or not) is using your photos.
Those pics are your property and thus using them without your expressed permission is a copywrite infringement, even if you have no copywrite. (you really should be watermarking your pics though)
I'd also file a VeRo complaint with ebay asap. they take pretty direct action on these things and thier account will be flagged for while. They will not be allowed to relist thier auction listing, it will be permanently removed, pics included.
It is possible it was damaged in shipping, stuff happens. Ive learned to never offer a partial refund. Thats how the scam normally works btw..and as you saw, they simply relist/resell it and bank 1/2 your money and keep the item.
Full refund when the exact item is returned to you...then if its the carriers fault, file the insurance claim.
also, You really cant put "no returns" in the listing, ebay policy overides that anyway with an NAD claim, so its wasted text.
Good luck with all this, one more thing, ebay message to CS flat sucks, best bet is to call them directly and escalte to a supervisor if your getting the run around.

Full refund when the exact item is returned to you...then if its the carriers fault, file the insurance claim.
My concern with that, and the reason why I did what I did, was because I thought the USPS specifically forbade shipping damaged goods again if a claim is going to be filed. If I knew I could still make the claim, I would have had it returned.

My concern with that, and the reason why I did what I did, was because I thought the USPS specifically forbade shipping damaged goods again if a claim is going to be filed. If I knew I could still make the claim, I would have had it returned.
My understanding is the person who received the damaged goods is to file the claim. That way if usps wants to verify that the damage exists usps can request the person that filed the claim bring the item in for review.
I agree that is not likely to happen on a $50.00 claim.
Another thought is the buyer, in your case, if he was doing this same scam over and over wants the seller to initiate the claim so he is not on record at usps as having multiple damaged in shipment claims. He is more than happy getting a refund and the item at a deep discount.

Wow crazy sad how desperate people are make few bucks. Only took the thief an hour to spot you on here and threaten lawyers geez. Sorry for your troubles

The " I'm turning this over to my attorney" is an empty threat. As stated, no one would take the case & even if they did, it would cost them must more than the cost to file the case. And besides that, the attorney is the only one making any money.

Not getting into the conversation either way ,what I see is faulty packaging by you , the box was too small and the damage was from the inside out , look at the pics . You should have used a bigger box and shoved an ''inside the box'' piece of styrofoam over the shafts that would have kept them from contacting the box if rudely handled , which you gotta expect . To me looks like the shippers fault to start with!!

is FABO so high key that when your "name" gets mentioned you know it somehow?
or is this feller a member here ?

he mentioned selling a duster, i think ill go try and find that
in the mean time...this doesnt look like a man who is happy with his stereo

6ymnKAEk4vtuffNnkIbi6FqMzBjxS-YqXxebv-MHO9U.jpg

That hole is almost in the very bottom corner of the box. Looking at the front of the radio the shaft seems like it would be too far over and up to even reach that part of the box.

Not getting into the conversation either way ,what I see is faulty packaging by you , the box was too small and the damage was from the inside out , look at the pics . You should have used a bigger box and shoved an ''inside the box'' piece of styrofoam over the shafts that would have kept them from contacting the box if rudely handled , which you gotta expect . To me looks like the shippers fault to start with!!
I have to agree with this. Idiot buyer thought he could buy low and sell high but he received a damaged item, that's on the seller (our OP) who didn't box it properly.
well would you look at that, that listing ending because "the item was lost or broken"
yea, he listed it before he got it (which is monumentally stooopid), then when he got it it was damaged so his listing was wrong so he had to end it
My understanding is the person who received the damaged goods is to file the claim. That way if usps wants to verify that the damage exists usps can request the person that filed the claim bring the item in for review.
I do think this is correct. How can you make a claim on something you don't possess?
is this feller a member here ?
great question and if he is it would be good to hear from him on this

I might have thought that, but I packaged the radio explicitly to protect the shafts. There was plenty of room in that box, and I placed a lot of padding between the shafts and the wall of the box.

I've been packaging things for a very long time, and I'm dang good at it. I started back when dial up was the common mode of internet connection and ebay was an infant.

A piece of styrofoam wouldn't have stopped a scammer.

That hole is almost in the very bottom corner of the box. Looking at the front of the radio the shaft seems like it would be too far over and up to even reach that part of the box.
I was going to post this exact same reply. Maybe famous bob can reply with how the radio stem can poke a hole where it can not reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back