Temp sensor location

-

Valiant72

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it makes a difference in how a temperature guage reads by where it's placed in the intake manifold? I have a Edelbrock Performer and installed it next to the water neck instead of the stock location. I know I'm really reaching on this but after changing the termostat, water pump, hoses, cap, adding a pusher fan and replacing the radiator with a new one made for a 340 with A/C plus a different guage it showed 210 at idle yesterday. I took off the cap (normal pressure) and checked the water temp. with a meat termometer and it showed 170. I'm losing what hair I have left and that's not good. Thanks

Valiant72 said:
Does anyone know if it makes a difference in how a temperature guage reads by where it's placed in the intake manifold? I have a Edelbrock Performer and installed it next to the water neck instead of the stock location. I know I'm really reaching on this but after changing the termostat, water pump, hoses, cap, adding a pusher fan and replacing the radiator with a new one made for a 340 with A/C plus a different guage it showed 210 at idle yesterday. I took off the cap (normal pressure) and checked the water temp. with a meat termometer and it showed 170. I'm losing what hair I have left and that's not good. Thanks

Should be fine in that location you said.

What gauge are you using? Stocker? Aftermarket? If your using an aftermarket, make sure you are using the manufactures sender and not a stocker. Also make sure you didn't use and teflon tape or anything on the threads of the sender, that will throw the reading off. What temp sender did you put in, what is your fan setup? Pusher fans, from what i've seen, generally do not help too much because fans in general pull better than they push (through a radiator atleast).

I did use teflon tape around the threads. I have some doubts about the fan. It runs great but it was given to by a friend and I think it was for a puller only. Dosen't seem to move that much air. I'm using a 180 themostat. The guage is from Auto Meter.

Valiant72 said:
I did use teflon tape around the threads. I have some doubts about the fan. It runs great but it was given to by a friend and I think it was for a puller only. Dosen't seem to move that much air. I'm using a 180 themostat. The guage is from Auto Meter.

Are you solely relying on that electrical fan and nothing on the motor? Maybe i read over that, but i dont recall that being mentioned. I'd pull the teflon tape off the sender. Also run it at temp without the radiator cap on, just to make sure there is no air in the system..

Think I'll stay away from the car for a week and get my frustration level down. I'm running a 7 blade fan plus the pusher fan. I took the teflon tape off but it stayed the same. It was 95 deg. here yesterday. Driving at 55 it ran at 180 but went to 210 at idle. Have a 360 with a mild cam. I had the heads off before I put it in and the water passages looked good.

Are you using a probe-style temp guage, or electric/sender style?

If it's the E/S style, move the sender back to the stock location and see how it reads.
It's possible you have a bad sender unit or you're getting readings off the coolant as it flows from the head, which may also cause a faulty reading.

From what you're saying about being able to remove the cap when it reads "210", I'd say you're okay on temp.

I don't use electric temp guages on cars I need accurate temp readings on for this exact reason, they are inaccurate.
The probe-type are sometimes calibrated wrong, but at least the fluctuations in temp are transferred quicker, which is nice for a clearer diagnoses of what's going on.

Mark.

Mark Nixon said:
I don't use electric temp guages on cars I need accurate temp readings on for this exact reason, they are inaccurate.
The probe-type are sometimes calibrated wrong, but at least the fluctuations in temp are transferred quicker, which is nice for a clearer diagnoses of what's going on.

Mark.

Inaccurate? How many have you compared? I have a Autometer Pro-Comp, Mechanical, Full sweep temp gauge that reads right along with my Pro-Comp electrical on my Cuda. You still using a mechanical tach? Those electrical gauges are trouble. :toothy7: This day and age, electrical gauges are very accurate, 10years ago? maybe not so much, but as long as you aren't comparing a stocker to a aftermarket mechanical, it should be pretty darn close. I doubt very much that a mechanical autometer will say a drastic/10-20* change in his application versus his autometer electrical.

Just my 2cents,

Mike, simmer down, you'll drop one if you get too hot under the collar.
Next I suppose you'll tell me that the STOCK guages in an E body are "accurate", too?

There's a number of variables that can cause the guage to be off, I was offering up realistic solutions to a problem.

I don't care if they are new Autometer guages or old Hawk guages, they all can fail and read inaccurate and electric ones are more susceptable to many variations of problems.

Mark.

hmm, Hes got ya there.

but you see goody also runs his gauges on swtiches thats why he prefers electrical.

i personally prefer mechanical

:coffee2:
cerwin

Mark Nixon said:
Mike, simmer down, you'll drop one if you get too hot under the collar.
Next I suppose you'll tell me that the STOCK guages in an E body are "accurate", too?

There's a number of variables that can cause the guage to be off, I was offering up realistic solutions to a problem.

I don't care if they are new Autometer guages or old Hawk guages, they all can fail and read inaccurate and electric ones are more susceptable to many variations of problems.

Mark.

Nobody is gettin worked up, :salute:

I definately won't tell you that stock gauges are remotely accurate...thats why i dont run ANY :yawinkle:

last3.gif

I'm just saying that I've compared autometer mechanical and autometer electrical and didn't see a bit of change between the two. And that if he is having a cooling issue and is using his electrical aftermarket gauge, that i doubt if he put a mechanical on there that he would see enough change/variance between the electrical and mechanical's reading to 'fix' or solve his issue due to an inaccurate aftermarket gauge.

right or wrong, its just my 2cents on the matter. :toothy7:

-
Back