Temperature gauge question Dart 1964

-

Luc

Reaction score
I removed the cluster, and there are no wires attached to the bolts protruding of the temperature gauge. On the front of the engine, I have a sensor with a coil around it for the whole lengh of the sensor, but that one is going a sensor that was added under the console (see picture) That added sensor does work. The cluster AMP meter does work (the added one doesn't).

Since I don't see wiring going to the stock temp gauge, I'm wondering if the added cluster was an option from the factory ? What do you think and/or suggest ? I hate to see something that simply doesn't work. I want to keep the factory look as much as possible.

temp.png

The "added cluster" is just a generic typical add on aftermarket gauge set. In the years when cars were dominated by "idiot lamps" those were popular.

Be CERTAIN you do not damage or cut the mechanical gauge sender /tube. They are a hollow pressurized tube, and not repairable.

The factory gauge never DID have wires hooked to the nuts / studs. The nuts make contact with the PC board in the cluster. Some of those years had a THREE terminal fuel gauge, which means the voltage limiter is inside the fuel gauge

Ok good to know the contacts are still on the pcboard. However where is supposed to be the sending unit on that car/engine ? Do you think it was simply removed and replaced when the guy added the aftermarket gauge set ?

Changing the voltage limiter is part of my plan, as I read how to do it with a simple electronic chip I happen to have in stock, but since my fuel gauge works ok, I guess that can't be why the stock temperature gauge doesn't work...

In the long run, I will probably hook an LCD showing the RPM, engine temperature and vehicle speed in KM/h, so I can then remove the gauge set.

What do you have for an engine? They may have installed the mechanical one in place of the electrical one. Generally, they are "close to " or mounted on / into the water pump SB V8 is up near the water outlet on the intake manifold

You're likely getting much more accurate info from those addon gauges. The OEM gauges are simple thermal range indicators. There pointers somewhere near middle of travel/range.
You could invest some time and money and have both working.

Changing the voltage limiter is part of my plan, as I read how to do it with a simple electronic chip I happen to have in stock, but since my fuel gauge works ok, I guess that can't be why the stock temperature gauge doesn't work...
That would be correct. The original wire to the engine temp sensor would be purple.

-
Back