Temperature Question/Advice

-

Robb

Reaction score
How hot should my mostly stock 340 run? I guess a better questions is, what's the best way to tell how hot it is running?

I just had the stock radiator boiled out and resealed. It was originally a 318 car with air, and the radiator core was replaced about 10 years ago. I also put in a new stock thermostat, and flushed the system. The reason I am asking is the stock gauge (69 barracuda) is running one notch from the max. Now I know it's old and probably very unreliable. Overall everything seems really hot under the hood, but no signs of actually over heating. I drove for about 45 minutes, and it's 80 degrees and overcast...

Thanks!
Robb

What ever temp thermostat you put in is what your motor should be running within a few degrees. I would buy a new temp gauge and at least mount it under the hood and go from there. You may want to install a cooler temp thermostat. Good luck, steve

Yes, I know it should run at the thromostat temp. It's a 195. Does anyone else run anything cooler? If I find it is hotter, How hot is too hot?

I think an additional guage is needed, but I am not sure where I will mount it....

Thanks!
Robb

I run a 180 thermostat and in the 90* weather it,ll run inbetween 185-190*.You can buy single or triple sets of gauges and mount underdash or wherever you choose.Here,s a pic of gauges in my 66 Dart.
car pics 66 Dart 199.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 199.jpg

-
Back