Temperature sensor wiring question.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I just finished installing a water temp gauge and transmission temperature gauge. Both are working but the transmission temperature didn’t move until about a mile into the drive and then it stayed around 115. I realized I did wire them differently though and wanted to see if that had an effect on the readings. Obviously both are secured. Transmission has the wire between two nuts. Water just had one nut on top.

80610DC7-0688-475F-8D1C-13B1F1D7F7DF.jpeg

8BB2DD30-7ACA-4C6F-8E4A-E79E18E7D5F0.jpeg

As long as the insulator between the the wire and body of the sensor, either way of mounting should be correct. Have been advised to not use any tape or sealant on the threads as the sensor grounds through the threading to operate properly.

Fuel, oil, and temp just have one wire. You may have wrong sender. Don't overtighten you can damage them.

Assuming the senders and the gauges are matched then the 2 nuts vs 1 nut should not have any effect.

Personally I would use 2 nuts like your first photo. Less chance of damaging the sender.

As for the trans temp...

Where are you measuring the temp?

It is not too surprising that there is no reading for about a mile. Your engine creates heat from the first start

The trans has to generate heat from torque converter slippage etc.

If the trans is plumbed through the cooler in the rad then the engine heat helps to warm up the trans.

As for peaking at 115, maybe that's it's operating temp under the conditions you drove it in.

If both gauges are by the same manufacturer, you could temporarily jumper the feed from the engine sender to the trans guage to be sure it reads above 115.

Assuming the senders and the gauges are matched then the 2 nuts vs 1 nut should not have any effect.

Personally I would use 2 nuts like your first photo. Less chance of damaging the sender.

As for the trans temp...

Where are you measuring the temp?

It is not too surprising that there is no reading for about a mile. Your engine creates heat from the first start

The trans has to generate heat from torque converter slippage etc.

If the trans is plumbed through the cooler in the rad then the engine heat helps to warm up the trans.

As for peaking at 115, maybe that's it's operating temp under the conditions you drove it in.

If both gauges are by the same manufacturer, you could temporarily jumper the feed from the engine sender to the trans guage to be sure it reads above 115.

Sensor is in the pan. Not ideal, I am aware but for the time being that is what I have.

If you have a stock in rad tank cooler and perhaps an external one too I don't see any issues.

-
Back