Temps climbing in 318

-
I got a 26 inch 2 row radiator from O Reily's for about 200 bucks and the core is just a hair larger than the opening, and all I had to do was drill new mounting holes.
Out on the hiway it runs just about 185 with a 190 thermostat, and about 195-200 if it's close to or over 100 degrees out.
About 200-210 around town if it's around 100 degrees out.

I'm using an electric 18 inch S blade fan right now and it works just fine, but when I go to the 360 I will be shrouding a viscous fan with the 26 inch radiator.

One of the things I really like about the electric is that it is set up totally automatic, so it goes on and off at the temp that I have the thermostat set for.
With a mechanical fan the engine and pressure in the cooling system goes quite a bit higher when you shut the engine off.
This setup usually only comes on when I am stopped in traffic, but when I shut the car off it comes on by itself and gets the temp down lowering the cooling system pressure pretty fast.
I can pull in at a gas station at 200-210 degrees, and by the time I get done putting gas in it the temp is down around 170-180.

No offense taken to anyone here. I came asking for advise and I take it however it comes. I haven't liked that shroud since day one but it was "convenient". After I get with Gary, and hopefully get a new radiator, I'll build a new shroud that fits properly.

I've got this thing tuned to run great if I can solve this one "little" problem. Heck. I had a small block Vega(sorry) before this and didn't these cooling problems with it. That's where I found out that flex fans aren't good for sustained high rpm's. Ha! Thanks all. Dennis.

I thought that I posted this link, but I can't find it in this thread (maybe I posted it in another one). Here's a link to Mancini's fan shroud page. It may be easier just to pay the money for a repro that will fit, than make one from scratch. Your choice, just throwing out some other options for you.

http://search.store.yahoo.net/chuck.../chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/restoration1.html

If you have a high stall speed torque converter and no aux cooler for it, that will dump a ton of extra heat into your radiator at highway speeds.

I would switch to a 7 blade /without the fan clutch ,some clutches don't come on until 220deg.or replace it with a heavy duty truck types.

-
Back