Testing Fan Clutch

-
It should lock up when hot look up viscous clutch testing you'll find all sorts of links and different ideas how to test. Generally it should be hard to stop when clutch is engaged and spin easy when engine is cooler.

I went to grab this one off the shelf to clean it up and noticed some 'fluid' around the spring. I'm guessing it's toast???

0723151713_zpssfwfqpv8.jpg

I went to grab this one off the shelf to clean it up and noticed some 'fluid' around the spring. I'm guessing it's toast???

I would thinks so.

To test one on the car, give it a spin, it should stop rather quickly.

I read some where long ago, when storing these fans clutches they are to be stored fan side down (bolt on holes down, NOT spring side / flat side down. Fluid seeps out.
I could be wrong but that is what I recall. since I always store mine standing up as mounted on the motor, or on a nail to the attic truss.
There are fluid clutch units without the spring as well, my 70 Duster had the no spring style.

I have an OEM clutch here, and it says to store it face down (spring down).

Attachments

• Clutch Front.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 235
Ahhhh there ya go..I was wrong...lol
But, I knew there was a particular way they wanted it stored! Perfect!
Face down makes sense oil may leak out the shaft seal.

I guess IM ok, I store mine standing up Haha :) Thanks!!

On the show Wheeler Dealers, Ed China tested a fan clutch by grabbing it with a leather glove while the engine was idling (already warmed up, I recall). He could hold it still, which he said showed that it was bad. Perhaps if you lose a finger, you should jump for joy since that proves it is good? Some say that if good you will hear the wind blowing like a hurricane if it is hot, but I have never noticed that.

On the show Wheeler Dealers, Ed China tested a fan clutch by grabbing it with a leather glove while the engine was idling (already warmed up, I recall). He could hold it still, which he said showed that it was bad. Perhaps if you lose a finger, you should jump for joy since that proves it is good? Some say that if good you will hear the wind blowing like a hurricane if it is hot, but I have never noticed that.

some bad ideas there !!

-
Back