texas dmv laws?

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
hi there all. I live in AZ and looking to possibly relocate to Texas.... around Waco area I believe.... anyone form this area an know the emission laws.....1973 swinger BUILT!! have all but egr valve on vehicle ... there but non-functioning.... would probably pass smog sniff test? haven't tried... looking to see the laws about this... would be a now and then car... but not show only, I drive it!!!

Being that your car is 43 years old, I don't think it is subject to the sniffer emissions, if I remember correctly. You need to check with the county that you are moving to because you will need a Texas inspection before you will be issued tags in Texas. You have at least 30 days once you are located in the state to use your out of state registration.

No sniffer required, also over 25 years old register it as an antique. Special plates, no inspection needed

I thought it was 25 for vintage, 50 for antique?

I live in Texas and they've never checked my '69 Barracuda for emissions. All they check is brakes, all lights/signals, emergency brake, horn, and make sure it goes down the road OK>
PS - It has regular tags on it.
treblig

1985 and newer must have factory smog equipment, but no sniffer test. Safety inspection only for pre-85.You are good to go. Let us know when you get here, got an awsome Mopar friend here, TXDart, who races his 73 4-door Dart,we'll clue you in for cruise nights or drag racing in the general area, around Austin and San Antonio.

I changed the registration of my '64 to "Classic" last year. While "Antique" would not require annual inspection, it would limit how I used the car to parades and car shows. I like to drive it all over.

I was also able to restore a pair of year-of-manufacture plates and have those approved, so they are the legal plates for it now.

Texas is doing away with the actual inspection sticker (all recorded on computers, tied to the registration), so that won't clutter up the windshield for much longer.

I've had antique tags in my 69 for a couple years now. I drive it around at least once a week. Never had any law issues. Might be cuz I'm old and gray-haired and they just leave me alone!

I live in Fort Worth, TX. Tarrant county. Vehicles over 25 years can be tagged as either "Classic" or "Antique". Classic requires safety inspection only. Lights, tires...that sort of stuff. Antique requires NO inspection, but there's some rules regarding usage. Just shows and parade and that sort of thing. How they enforce that? Beats me.No driving restrictions on a Classic.I had an 88 Jeep Cherokee that I registered as a Classic. I have a neighbor that got an old willys (ancient...like 50's or something) registered as antique. He didn't have to bring the car anywhere (zero inspection) to get the plates. Vehicles newer that 25 years must either 1. NOT have the check engine light on, (and the light illuminates when the ignition is placed on....ie, works). 2. Vehicles newer than 25 years but with NO check engine light get hooked up to the sniffer....and gotta pass. I'm a connoisseur of old crappy cars. I've experience all these options.

Or option 3: Head down the "little mexico" and drop a hundy. It'll pass.

I live in Fort Worth, TX. Tarrant county. Vehicles over 25 years can be tagged as either "Classic" or "Antique". Classic requires safety inspection only. Lights, tires...that sort of stuff. Antique requires NO inspection, but there's some rules regarding usage. Just shows and parade and that sort of thing. How they enforce that? Beats me.No driving restrictions on a Classic.I had an 88 Jeep Cherokee that I registered as a Classic. I have a neighbor that got an old willys (ancient...like 50's or something) registered as antique. He didn't have to bring the car anywhere (zero inspection) to get the plates. Vehicles newer that 25 years must either 1. NOT have the check engine light on, (and the light illuminates when the ignition is placed on....ie, works). 2. Vehicles newer than 25 years but with NO check engine light get hooked up to the sniffer....and gotta pass. I'm a connoisseur of old crappy cars. I've experience all these options.

Or option 3: Head down the "little mexico" and drop a hundy. It'll pass.

You can also get regular plates or in my case specialty plates for your classic/antique. This way you can drive as much as you like but you have to get the full annual inspection/tags. In addition, the specialty plates can be purchased for 3 or 5 years at a time and you save quite a few bucks!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04261.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 123
You can also get regular plates or in my case specialty plates for your classic/antique. This way you can drive as much as you like but you have to get the full annual inspection/tags. In addition, the specialty plates can be purchased for 3 or 5 years at a time and you save quite a few bucks!!

Treblig

Interesting...do you need the safety inspection for those?? Are they "classic", "antique"...or a thing of their own??

Interesting...do you need the safety inspection for those?? Are they "classic", "antique"...or a thing of their own??

Yes, you need a safety inspection because they are regular plates but you get to pick the letters, words or numbers. They cost more than a regular plate because they are made just for you. There are numerous styles/colors/logos. If you happen to pick letters/numbers or words that have already been picked (on a particular style of plate) you can choose a different style of specialty plate and try again.
Just go here:

http://www.myplates.com/

and go crazy. Many, many options!! It doesn't cost a dime to experiment all you want and when you finally get the one you want you can order it.

Treblig

I have a matching set of 1967 Texas passenger car plates i restored to original colors. I will be putting these on my 67 cuda when its road ready. The state will reissue the old tags but they must be a matching pair, and either new unissued, or restored to original colors they came with. They must also be the same year tags as the car they are going on.

I'm out here in Dayton Texas. i prefer the regular tags. just have to make sure the seat belts are in safe working order as well as all of the lights, horn, brakes and engine belts.

-
Back