TF904 kickdown band anchor failure

-

66durgederp

"pull hard, itll come easy"
Reaction score
Got a fun one here, cope racing TF904-4 "pro street reverse manual shift" that nuked 2nd gear on the 7th shift....literally. Was on its maiden voyage and lost it, so I dropped the valve body that same night and saw this.
The anchor point honestly looks cheesy as hell, has anyone else ever seen something like this happen? And why? It appears the slightly convex face of the bolt walked off the anchor face and popped out between the alignment tang and the anchor. Just seeing if theres anything that can be done to prevent this from happening again since i have to literally disassemble the entire front suspension (due to TTI headers) to get the engine and trans out. FYI - called John Cope and hes sending me a new band and pump gaskets free of charge - Im extremely happy with his service and product - I honestly do not believe this was an assembly error or any error on his part for that matter - just **** luck. Thanks!

IMG_20180317_244444_548[1].jpg

IMG_20180317_244538_231[1].jpg

Wow. That's a bit of a bummer! Glad to hear John has got your back as far as parts go. Great service!!. I can only imagine it was a faulty band from the manufacturer. Either that or the adjusting screw backed out. The band adjustment & the internal spring force of the band holds it hard up against the adjusting screw. When you get the new one in there you will see what I mean.

Wow. That's a bit of a bummer! Glad to hear John has got your back as far as parts go. Great service!!. I can only imagine it was a faulty band from the manufacturer. Either that or the adjusting screw backed out. The band adjustment & the internal spring force of the band holds it hard up against the adjusting screw. When you get the new one in there you will see what I mean.

For sure! i know what you are talking about with the band having spring tension. Naturally my biggest concern is having this problem again down the road and if theres a way to prevent it. This is frustrating as hell but I spose you gotta pay to play....

is that a flex band? It seems to me I rolled one in one time, with trans in situ.

its a "semi rigid" band....i think? its a twin to the raybestos pro-series band. I tried rolling it out last night just to satisfy my curiosity, and its definitely a no go.....rrrrr!!!

Got a fun one here, cope racing TF904-4 "pro street reverse manual shift" that nuked 2nd gear on the 7th shift....literally. Was on its maiden voyage and lost it, so I dropped the valve body that same night and saw this.
The anchor point honestly looks cheesy as hell, has anyone else ever seen something like this happen? And why? It appears the slightly convex face of the bolt walked off the anchor face and popped out between the alignment tang and the anchor. Just seeing if theres anything that can be done to prevent this from happening again since i have to literally disassemble the entire front suspension (due to TTI headers) to get the engine and trans out. FYI - called John Cope and hes sending me a new band and pump gaskets free of charge - Im extremely happy with his service and product - I honestly do not believe this was an assembly error or any error on his part for that matter - just **** luck. Thanks!

View attachment 1715154712

View attachment 1715154716
If your gonna take it apart, do yourself a favour and put in a solid one piece band. They are much stronger and will take high line pressures more reliably. Flex bands that have welded on anchors can break.

I had a lug on my rear band completely break off.....that was fun!
I bought a better solid band and no problems now....

Jeff

-
Back