TF904 Transbrake recommendation

-

drugster

Reaction score
Hi:
Decide that im gonna put a transbrake in my car, just need to know what are the options, is for a stroked small block, around 500 hp, 500 tq, 4.56 geared 9",28.5 slicks, 4 link suspension; already using a 3800 converter and a B&M Z-Gate shifter (knowing maybe have to change both).
The car is a 74 Duster, 3350 lbs, used for weekends and 6-7 times a year in the track

Hi:
Decide that im gonna put a transbrake in my car, just need to know what are the options, is for a stroked small block, around 500 hp, 500 tq, 4.56 geared 9",28.5 slicks, 4 link suspension; already using a 3800 converter and a B&M Z-Gate shifter (knowing maybe have to change both).
The car is a 74 Duster, 3350 lbs, used for weekends and 6-7 times a year in the track
You can certainly put a tranny brake in your car and run it on the street but just remember that you will lose all automatic shifting functions. The shifting pattern will be reversed as well (haven't seen a brake yet that had the stock pattern). As far as brands, Greiner (sp?) has a pretty good following.

Do you have a hardened input shaft? If so your ok. If not I wouldn't do it. If I wanted a t-brake VB there are 3 places I'd call. Andrews racing, Cope racing, and A&A trans to see what they offer

Have been using a transbrake in a 904 since 1993, never broke a input shaft. Using Transzact of Indy transbrakes, in fact I have 4 of their transbrakes in 904s, Since we race 3 cars with 904 with tranny brake I have a complete 904 with brake as a spare ready to go. I am still using the brake that was bought back in 1993.

As noted above, they are manual valve bodies with reverse pattern, no automatic features.

projects page

The converter also needs to have Fins strengthened to handle any possible cavitation. I had a ten inch setup for transbrake use by TCI that wasn't done right, and looks like a gorilla with a big ballpeen hammer beat all the fins to death, I kid you not! They charged me $500 ( in 2000) and wouldn't fix it. Not that I hold a grudge much!!!

I was wandering the same thing, I am looking a the new CRT transbrakes, but have not heard any feedback on them

is there any difference between coming up on the converter to 3000 rpm and hold it with the foot brake and setting the transbrake going up on the 2 step at 3000 rpm?

Cause I have been using TA converters that were built before transbrakes were made....for many years now....

-
Back