Th mopar guy

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with a web site Themoparguy.com? I'm in the market for a 340 / 360 block to start my rebuild and this site has some good stuff and good prices but I've never heard of it before. Maybe you guys can warn me off if it's a shady site. Thanks.

I don't know anything about them... my judgement is that it's someone making a living with Mopars and Mopar parts. Since you are in VA, why contact someone in KS for a block? The local boneyards are full of 360 parts.

Unless you want the 340 for personal preference or for possibly adding resale value, the 360 is a fine choice with MANY more used parts and more things like piston choices. The heads and valvetrain stuff all interchanges.

How do you plan to go about putting this together? What are your overall engine build goals and use? In that way, maybe some better advice and ideas on how to proceed will be forthcoming.

nm9stheham I bought a 73 340 Dart Sport because it was exactly like my first new car, way back when I was young. The VIN and fender tag are 340, but the engine is a 318. the seller is making it good so I'm looking for a 340 or 360 to put in it. I know the 360 would be better money wise and for street performance, but I'm also looking at a 340 for sentimental reasons. As for looking in Kansas when I'm in VA, I'm just starting on this journey and am considering all options. I've always been a Ford guy so I'm learning now. My crew chief and I will build the engine. We're looking at a 340 or 360, maybe a 408, with forged crank, forged rods with floating pins, forged pistons, and enough compression so it will run on premium gas. The cam will be a high lift/small duration so I can run it with an auto, probably a 2004R. I'm planning on about a 3.91 or thereabouts gear. Head work will depend on the final cam specs. Right now we're leaning toward iron heads but aluminum is a possibilty
67Dart273 - thanks for the heads up for a local contact

Well then keep your eyes on here and on eBay and CL for 340 blocks. There are some around. Expect $400 for anything worthwhile unless you get really lucky; watch out for overbored ones; others have said that going past .040" over can be an issue with limited wall thickness in some 340 blocks, so sonic testing may be in order. Watch out for excessively rusted or worn lifter bores. And 340 bores have a lot of chamfer in the tops of the lifter bores that often cause problem with hydraulic roller cams.

My son and I got a good 340 block and put in a 273 cast crank with SCAT rods and KB pistons. The piston/pin/rod weight was almost 200 grams under the stock 340 combo to keep stress off the lighter crank; re-balance was easy. (A full stroker crank set is available with forged crank if you like.) Then we put on Edelbrock heads, not ported, as OOTB had the flow we wanted. It is at 400 HP or less, not sure where you want to be. Or how original looking you want it.

Another member here recently bought some wheels from him. He does a lot of custom width and backspace wheels. I've never heard a bad thing about him.

He's within an hour from me and I've been watching a SWB truck he has for sale.

There are plenty of 340s around, but given the lack of the numbers block, you are free to do whatever. I haven't heard of that place, but given the amount of info given I wouldn't hesitate to drop by & talk to them. It's not easy to determine reputation off the web. Seeing/meeting is much preferred.

I had some custom 10" wide rear wheels made from him, good guy really fast too.

Attachments

• 20151109_172729.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 210
"My son and I got a good 340 block and put in a 273 cast crank with SCAT rods and KB pistons. The piston/pin/rod weight was almost 200 grams under the stock 340 combo to keep stress off the lighter crank; re-balance was easy."
Thank for al the info, hadn't thought about a 273 crank. I'm considering everything and 400 is in the ballpark for HP I'm looking for. I've already learned a lot from all the great guy on this site and I'm sure I'll learn more.

the mopar dude has made his living with these old cars since mid 80's . small deal, nothing big time I call it. I personally have never had a bad deal with him. I saw whee a member neded a custom made whell quick last week and got them from him fast and said he was happy.

340??? like said be real careful what it has already been bored out to. I would think you can find one closer???

I bought a 73 340 Dart Sport because it was exactly like my first new car, way back when I was young. The VIN and fender tag are 340, but the engine is a 318. the seller is making it good so I'm looking for a 340 or 360 to put in it. I know the 360 would be better money wise and for street performance, but I'm also looking at a 340 for sentimental reasons.

67Dart273 - thanks for the heads up for a local contact

I have a 73 340 I might be selling. I'll send you a PM concerning it. That "local contact" 67Dart mentioned is a scammer through and through.

-
Back